Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 6850 and Athlon II X3 445 is a bad combination

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2012 1:49:29 PM

I've been given bad info. People say that a radeon HD 6850 and athlon II X3 445 is a balanced combination but actually isn't. I did a lot of benchmarks. Crysis 1 GPU test was on high settings and got 43 average fps but it looks very unplayable. Crysis 2 i played and 55 average fps on idk which settings, its called hardcore. BF3 was actually pretty good or would be if there wasn't any chopping or skipping, overall around 50 fps but it has random chopping. Aliens vs Predator 2010 was playable maxed out but on rare occasions there would be some minor fps drops. Though i'm not satisfied at all because on crysis this card can reach a lot playable gameplay and more fps on a quad core cpu such as phenom II X4 810
July 17, 2012 2:08:08 PM

I think it is balanced, maybe just not optimal.
July 17, 2012 3:59:59 PM

Banana_Joe said:
I think it is balanced, maybe just not optimal.

How can this be balanced? Performance rating for the CPU on windows 7 dropped from 7.1 to 6.8 when i changed the GPU. Its good if you want to have a bottleneck and if you want to torture your CPU with a overkill GPU
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 4:17:35 PM

What resolution are you playing at?

With that processor and GPU I don't think you are going to be able max out settings on the games you mentioned. You are going to need to bring the settings down just a bit to get smoother game play, IMHO.
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:18:53 PM

I'm not understanding the question. Are you looking for an upgrade?
July 17, 2012 5:24:40 PM

maui67 said:
What resolution are you playing at?

With that processor and GPU I don't think you are going to be able max out settings on the games you mentioned. You are going to need to bring the settings down just a bit to get smoother game play, IMHO.

1920x1080 and i'm not trying to max out games. I play them without anti aliasing because it just creates blur in most games and takes away more than it gives. I learned a long time ago that i need a decent quad core cpu like a phenom II X4 965 to get playable frame rate on near max settings
July 17, 2012 5:27:09 PM

Deemo13 said:
I'm not understanding the question. Are you looking for an upgrade?

No i'm not looking on any advice for upgrading because i have everything already planned out. My point was to correct some people that say this is a balanced configuration. It obviously isn't. I'm upgrading to a phenom II X4 965
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 5:32:19 PM

Lazar_99 said:
No i'm not looking on any advice for upgrading because i have everything already planned out. My point was to correct some people that say this is a balanced configuration. It obviously isn't. I'm upgrading to a phenom II X4 965

I would say its balanced to me. You could check in certain games which resources are being used the most. If the processor is sitting at 100% usage, then its a bottleneck. If not, then its not.

Also if you have the motherboard for it, you can try to unlock the 4th core on the Athlon X3, usually you can do that.

As for the 965, I have one, and its awesome.
July 17, 2012 6:24:52 PM

Deemo13 said:
I would say its balanced to me. You could check in certain games which resources are being used the most. If the processor is sitting at 100% usage, then its a bottleneck. If not, then its not.

Also if you have the motherboard for it, you can try to unlock the 4th core on the Athlon X3, usually you can do that.

As for the 965, I have one, and its awesome.

My board supports the 965 but doesn't support core unlocking. Also the unlocked athlon still lacks the L3 cache and the 965 has a higher clock and an L3 cache
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 6:33:10 PM

I have a 445 + 6870, I was able to play crysis 1 at 1920 x 1080 with the very high preset (Not maxed, one lower than that.) at a very playable 40-50 fps.

BF3 I was also able to play at a nice and comfy 30fps minimum on the high preset (think I probably lowered AA+AF as I don't notice jaggies at all when im in the heat of the moment)

Most other games are easily "Maxed" (again despite AA/AF) I haven't tried crysis 2 yet though.

Edit: its just not worth the extra money going from an athlon 2 x3 to a phenom 2 x4. The difference in speed is minute at best.

Edit2: Dues ex human revolution is maxed also. as is Tribes, Just cause 2, Saints Row the Third, and Kingdoms of Amalur
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 6:43:11 PM

I also think a 445 + a 6850 is quite balanced at 1920 x 1080 I think you are just expecting to much from both the CPU & GPU. Though if this was a recent build I would have suggested a Pentium Gxxx over the Athlon. If you can't unlock it you can still overclock it.
July 17, 2012 6:46:45 PM

mouse24 said:
I have a 445 + 6870, I was able to play crysis 1 at 1920 x 1080 with the very high preset (Not maxed, one lower than that.) at a very playable 40-50 fps.

BF3 I was also able to play at a nice and comfy 30fps minimum on the high preset (think I probably lowered AA+AF as I don't notice jaggies at all when im in the heat of the moment)

Most other games are easily "Maxed" (again despite AA/AF) I haven't tried crysis 2 yet though.

Edit: its just not worth the extra money going from an athlon 2 x3 to a phenom 2 x4. The difference in speed is minute at best.

Edit2: Dues ex human revolution is maxed also. as is Tribes, Just cause 2, Saints Row the Third, and Kingdoms of Amalur

Why is that? You have a stronger GPU and run games better but not BF3? I get avg 50 fps on all ultra settings without AA and vsync is also off. And did you unlock the 4th core? How are you able to run crysis 1 on very high without lag? I saw a guy who has the same GPU as me but a phenom X4 and runs crysis on high and on the gpu benchmark got 46 fps while i got 42 fps. My 42 fps is nearly unplayable and his is smooth
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 6:51:40 PM

What are the rest of the specs of the system -- ie. what HDD or SSD are you using (a slower green label designed for power savings - or 5400 RPM laptop drive or an older model with smaller cache memory for example would effect performance ) - what type and amount of RAM -- What PSU -- could be any one of those causing problems as well if the HDD can not get the info to the system in time or there is not enough RAM it can cause the CPU and GPU to suffer. AS others mentioned at a 1920x1080 resolution those components should be fairly balanced as far as performance levels go - it's just a matter of finding the correct level of game settings to get them operating optimally together.
July 17, 2012 6:56:51 PM

simon12 said:
I also think a 445 + a 6850 is quite balanced at 1920 x 1080 I think you are just expecting to much from both the CPU & GPU. Though if this was a recent build I would have suggested a Pentium Gxxx over the Athlon. If you can't unlock it you can still overclock it.

Well a new build has been started. That athlon II is 2 years old now. The 6850 is for my new build but it doesn't seem like its working good with the athlon, not good at all. I bought the 6850 for 115$ and got the Antec High Current Gamer 620W for 67$ and while saving money i plan on what to buy next. What do you think should i do next? Stick with AMD CPU's or go with intel? I need all PC components except for the graphics card and PSU. I first got the most important part of the PC (which is the PSU of course) and then the GPU.
July 17, 2012 7:00:55 PM

JDFan said:
What are the rest of the specs of the system -- ie. what HDD or SSD are you using (a slower green label designed for power savings - or 5400 RPM laptop drive or an older model with smaller cache memory for example would effect performance ) - what type and amount of RAM -- What PSU -- could be any one of those causing problems as well if the HDD can not get the info to the system in time or there is not enough RAM it can cause the CPU and GPU to suffer. AS others mentioned at a 1920x1080 resolution those components should be fairly balanced as far as performance levels go - it's just a matter of finding the correct level of game settings to get them operating optimally together.

Other specs are:
Biostar N68S3+
4gb of kingston hyperx RAM
AMD Athlon II X3 445 CPU 3.1 GHz Rana core
Powercolor Radeon HD 6850
SATA2 Seagate ST316081 (7200RPM, 3GBps)
Antec High Current Gamer 620W
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 7:09:45 PM

In BF3 are you playing single player or multi player? Also about crysis I could very well be remembering wrong its been about a month since I uninstalled it.

Any other games you are having trouble with. And no I haven't even tried to unlock the 4th core. Probably should though :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 7:49:03 PM

Your motherboard only support up to 95W CPUs making any CPU upgrade not very worth it without a new motherboard. As you only have a low mid range graphics card I think the only thing worth upgrading is your cooler and overclock your current CPU. If you want a better CPU anyway get a new board and an Intel i3 or i5 but except CPU intensive games like BF3 multiplayer I don't think you will see a huge difference.
July 17, 2012 8:30:31 PM

simon12 said:
Your motherboard only support up to 95W CPUs making any CPU upgrade not very worth it without a new motherboard. As you only have a low mid range graphics card I think the only thing worth upgrading is your cooler and overclock your current CPU. If you want a better CPU anyway get a new board and an Intel i3 or i5 but except CPU intensive games like BF3 multiplayer I don't think you will see a huge difference.

Its a mid range card. Low end cards are 6450,6570,6670. I already have a aftermarket cooler though this board can't overclock either or i don't know how. I've never overclocked a CPU before. Like i said i need all new parts except the GPU and PSU. an i3 is out of the question because it has 2 cores. And by the time i finish with other components then i'll go with NVIDIA GTX 660ti or non ti
July 17, 2012 11:04:58 PM

mouse24 said:
In most games the i3 beats out the phenom 2 x4

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=289

Game benchmarks are down at the bottom.

Where are new games like BF3 and crysis 2? Because i definitely think games are starting to use more than 2 cores. I need an overall good CPU by that i mean i won't have cpu problems in any games
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 11:10:43 PM

Then just get an i5 2500K if overclocking or a 3570 if not. And an i3 2100 beats a 965 regardless of how many cores they have when it comes to gaming. Don't expect it to make to much difference until you upgrade the graphics as well. Read this for a general guide as to which CPU to buy for gaming http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclo...
July 17, 2012 11:21:19 PM

simon12 said:
Then just get an i5 2500K if overclocking or a 3570 if not. And an i3 2100 beats a 965 regardless of how many cores they have when it comes to gaming. Don't expect it to make to much difference until you upgrade the graphics as well. Read this for a general guide as to which CPU to buy for gaming http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclo...

First of all i'm looking for a CPU that will get rid of the bottleneck and make sure i don't face CPU problems again. The i5 is the best choice then. But what's the difference between an i5 2500 and 2500k?
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 11:40:05 PM

The 2500K is unlocked like the 965, so it can be overclocked past its 3.3GHz

The 2500 is stuck at 3.3 and cannot be overclocked easily.
July 17, 2012 11:48:15 PM

Deemo13 said:
The 2500K is unlocked like the 965, so it can be overclocked past its 3.3GHz

The 2500 is stuck at 3.3 and cannot be overclocked easily.

So pay a little extra for a 2500k if you want to overclock but if you don't then you take the 2500?
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 12:43:11 AM

No if you don't want to overclock get the newer ivy bridge i5 3570 its better but does not overclock as well.
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 2:28:46 AM

Lazar_99 said:
So pay a little extra for a 2500k if you want to overclock but if you don't then you take the 2500?

Exactly.
!