Sign in with
Your question

New Build. Just Got Cheap GTX 570. CPU/MOBO Suggestions...

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2013 11:36:29 AM

Hey guys,

My mate recently purchased a new GPU and sold me his old one, an "INNO3D NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB" He sold me the card for £50. I'm totally new to PC builds so hopefully that card is worth it.

I'm doing a bit of a new build and trying to keep costs down. It'll be my first build and gaming is the only thing I'll be using it for as I have a good laptop for work.

I'm looking at getting a CPU for under £150. What does everyone think of the 8350? Will this be a good pairing? Please feel free to suggest other options if you have them.

I'm totally new to this, but I'm looking forward to reading up on things like Overclocking etc, so feel free to throw anything at me.

Also, if you have any mobo suggestions to go with the CPU's you suggest. Please let me know.

Thanks guys.

January 19, 2013 12:16:19 PM

I'd recommend the i5-3570K, but it might be 10-15 pounds outside your price range. A good motherboard to go with that would be the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. Both the processor and the the motherboard are well suited to overclocking.

a b à CPUs
January 19, 2013 12:58:41 PM

If you aren't interested in overclocking, or just want to live without the hassle, the best out-of-the-box processor for gaming for under £150 is almost undoubtedly the i5 3470 - http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53470

Match that with either a B75 or H77 motherboard and you have a pretty potent and fairly cheap solution. There's a lot of motherboard options depending on what features you might want in the future, and whether or not you want a full sized ATX board or are happy enough with a mATX board (these days you don't loose much at all). If you are value-hunting, the ASRock H77M or B75M are both very well priced.

The i5 3570K is great, but once you factor in the more expensive motherboard you need, and a solid aftermarket CPU cooler, the added value evaporates a little.

For £50, you can't complain too much at that graphics card. A new card to offer you similar performance is likely to set you back at least £150. Even if it lasts you a year or so, it's a pretty good buy.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 4:19:10 PM

Yes - £50'for a gtx570 is a good deal. As the other posters have said the best processor around £150 is and i5 3570k (around £170). What is your budget for the whole system?
January 19, 2013 5:37:26 PM

yes £50 For a 570 is amazing :) 

as others have said, what's the budget for the rest of the system?
!