240w or 450w psu plz check image link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
For a system using a single GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power...

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Based on the check mark on the label, I'd have to assume that it's a 450w PSU. I've never seen a PSU with those individual rail ratings, however. Must be some really old design. Here's the label from a low-end but still modern 450w PSU...

you often see psu's with ratings for individual voltages, i.e. max 400W 12V, in this case this is saying max of 5V + 3.3V = 240W.

now whether you need more than 240W on 5 and 3.3 i'm not sure. I do know that the 12V rail is a little weak, at only 228W total.

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I was referring more to the actual ratings given the rails, such as 45A for the +5v rail...

I think they are odd ratings, i tend not to look at those lower voltage ratings, and just focus on decent quality and enough 12V power, and assume that everything else falls into place.

based on that I'd say it is a weak supply having insufficient on the 12V.

not as simple as that.

it is rated at 450W, however the max load of the 5V and 3.3V lines is 240W, although the current ratings would have you believe it is 5x45 + 3.3x28 = 317W
Additionally the 12V line can only supply 228W.

I therefore think it is very tight (if not insufficient power) for a 9800GTX+ as they would have been quite power hungry, not powerful by todays standards, but they still want the watts that they need.

Especially when you consider that PSUs lose power capabilities as they get old.

4745454b

Titan
No way it can power a 9800GTX. You have a 95W quad CPU. There goes nearly half your 12V power right there. If you factor in the motherboard, drives, ram, etc you are over half. You would only have around 100W for the GPU. At best. The 9800GTX+ has two 6pin PCIe plugs so it needs more power then the slot and a single plug can provide. This means it will want at least 150W+ when gaming. I also doubt that power supply has ANY built in PCIe plugs, let alone two of them. I would upgrade the PSU before trying anything as "beastly" as the 9800GTX+.

For a system using a single GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers may overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Frontech 450W (JIL-2414B), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 19 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is insufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB graphics card.

FRONTECH is the flagship brand of JIL (Jupiter International Limited) of Kolkata, India. That power supply is typical of Indian designed power supplies for their own market.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.