INSTANT BOOT FROM XP TO WIN98

July 23, 2005 12:43:02 AM

Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i can
boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside xp
(after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a lot!

More about : instant boot win98

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:43:03 AM

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
> like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
> can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
> xp
> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
> lot!

You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to dual boot,
you will have to choose from the boot options screen.

Bobby
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:06:24 AM

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

| Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
| like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i can
| boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside xp
| (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a lot!
Related resources
July 23, 2005 1:21:52 PM

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
> like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
> can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
> xp
> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
> lot!

you can install Virtual machine in XP
then from there install win98.

win98 will run as an application
from within XP...
of course there will be a performance hit...and there may be some hardware
issues...
so i suggest merely dual booting
July 23, 2005 7:57:35 PM

Try:
http://www.vmware.com
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
> like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
> can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
> xp
> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
> lot!
July 23, 2005 9:23:18 PM

The other people who replied have no idea what you mean.
Indeed, I have seen a small utility that you could choose it to boot and
change OS from within windows, It worked only with windows (not Linux).
However I cannot recall its name.
So All I can do is tell you that what you want exists...
and you should continue searching for it.

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
> like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
> can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
> xp
> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
> lot!
July 23, 2005 9:47:37 PM

here you go

Download link:
http://www.gabrieleponti.com/downloads/restart.exe

Info:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/R...

Restart is a system utility for advanced users with more than one operating
system installed on their machine.

The program installs an icon in the notification area, and with a single
click the computer will shutdown and restart with the selected operating
system.

Kenny
www.computerboom.net

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
> like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
> can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
> xp
> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
> lot!
July 23, 2005 9:50:55 PM

http://gabrieleponti.com/software/

he has a few more interesting utilities

I have some on my site too, take a look
www.computerboom.net

kenny

"jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
> like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
> can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
> xp
> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
> lot!
July 23, 2005 10:26:54 PM

"kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
> The other people who replied have no idea what you mean.
> Indeed, I have seen a small utility that you could choose it to boot and
> change OS from within windows, It worked only with windows (not Linux).
> However I cannot recall its name.
> So All I can do is tell you that what you want exists...
> and you should continue searching for it.

all that does is shutdown windows and reboot the machine
to a different OS...
it serves no real purpose and certainly does not do what the OP
asked for.
except for running a 2nd OS within a virtual machine...
one needs to reboot
July 24, 2005 12:24:58 PM

You are wrong.

Yes it does do what he wants. His question was :

"is there any possiblity that i can
boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu?"

Apparenly he hates the hassle of choosing all the time. And the program I
gave him lets him choose beforehand
what he will run.

The utility I gave him can boot to xp without going to the OS choice menu.
He never said running 2 OS at the same time. Although VM is a solution,
he talked about a backup system and Virtual computers are not backup
systems.
If he had asked about that i would told him about VMWARE or VIRTUAL PC.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
>> The other people who replied have no idea what you mean.
>> Indeed, I have seen a small utility that you could choose it to boot and
>> change OS from within windows, It worked only with windows (not Linux).
>> However I cannot recall its name.
>> So All I can do is tell you that what you want exists...
>> and you should continue searching for it.
>>

> all that does is shutdown windows and reboot the machine
> to a different OS...
> it serves no real purpose and certainly does not do what the OP
> asked for.
> except for running a 2nd OS within a virtual machine...
> one needs to reboot

July 24, 2005 12:24:59 PM

> You are wrong.
>
> Yes it does do what he wants. His question was :
>
> "is there any possiblity that i can
> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu?"

you did not read the question by the OP...
he specifically says "without booting again"

aargh!
July 25, 2005 2:05:04 AM

yes but he cant have a backup system without booting again... so I gave him
the most hasle free solution.

he does NOT have to manually boot again.

> "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
>> You are wrong.
>>
>> Yes it does do what he wants. His question was :
>>
>> "is there any possiblity that i can
>> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu?"
>>

> you did not read the question by the OP...
> he specifically says "without booting again"
>

> aargh!

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:14:58 PM

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os.
>> and id like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any
>> possiblity that i can
>> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from
>> inside xp
>> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again?
>> Thanks a lot!
>
> You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to
> dual boot, you will have to choose from the boot options screen.
>
> Bobby

This is where Macs have the edge over PCs. On my G5 I can run three
operating systems simultaneously *without* rebooting. Tiger, Classic (OS9)
and XP Pro (via Virtual PC).
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:14:59 PM

In your own shrill words "this is a Win XP newsgroup, what has that have to
do with(insert subject here) Mac's?...BLAH BLAH" Said many many times.
HYPOCRITE
IFC

> NoNoBadDog! wrote:
>> "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os.
>>> and id like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any
>>> possiblity that i can
>>> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from
>>> inside xp
>>> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again?
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to
>> dual boot, you will have to choose from the boot options screen.
>>
>> Bobby
>
> This is where Macs have the edge over PCs. On my G5 I can run three
> operating systems simultaneously *without* rebooting. Tiger, Classic (OS9)
> and XP Pro (via Virtual PC).

July 27, 2005 9:40:57 PM

You MAC stinks... I have more OS on my PC than you can imagine using
VMWARE...
INCLUDING tiger using cherryOS.

!