INSTANT BOOT FROM XP TO WIN98

Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i can
boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside xp
(after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a lot!
14 answers Last reply
More about instant boot win98

    "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
    > like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
    > can
    > boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
    > xp
    > (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
    > lot!

    You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to dual boot,
    you will have to choose from the boot options screen.

    Bobby

    How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    | Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
    | like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i can
    | boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside xp
    | (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a lot!

    "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
    > like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
    > can
    > boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
    > xp
    > (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
    > lot!

    you can install Virtual machine in XP
    then from there install win98.

    win98 will run as an application
    from within XP...
    of course there will be a performance hit...and there may be some hardware
    issues...
    so i suggest merely dual booting

    Try:
    http://www.vmware.com
    or
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

    "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
    > like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
    > can
    > boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
    > xp
    > (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
    > lot!

    The other people who replied have no idea what you mean.
    Indeed, I have seen a small utility that you could choose it to boot and
    change OS from within windows, It worked only with windows (not Linux).
    However I cannot recall its name.
    So All I can do is tell you that what you want exists...
    and you should continue searching for it.

    "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
    > like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
    > can
    > boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
    > xp
    > (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
    > lot!

    here you go

    Download link:
    http://www.gabrieleponti.com/downloads/restart.exe

    Info:

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Restart.shtml

    Restart is a system utility for advanced users with more than one operating
    system installed on their machine.

    The program installs an icon in the notification area, and with a single
    click the computer will shutdown and restart with the selected operating
    system.

    Kenny
    www.computerboom.net

    "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os. and id
    > like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any possiblity that i
    > can
    > boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from inside
    > xp
    > (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again? Thanks a
    > lot!

    http://gabrieleponti.com/software/

    he has a few more interesting utilities

    I have some on my site too, take a look
    www.computerboom.net

    kenny

    "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
    > The other people who replied have no idea what you mean.
    > Indeed, I have seen a small utility that you could choose it to boot and
    > change OS from within windows, It worked only with windows (not Linux).
    > However I cannot recall its name.
    > So All I can do is tell you that what you want exists...
    > and you should continue searching for it.

    all that does is shutdown windows and reboot the machine
    to a different OS...
    it serves no real purpose and certainly does not do what the OP
    asked for.
    except for running a 2nd OS within a virtual machine...
    one needs to reboot

    You are wrong.

    Yes it does do what he wants. His question was :

    "is there any possiblity that i can
    boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu?"

    Apparenly he hates the hassle of choosing all the time. And the program I
    gave him lets him choose beforehand
    what he will run.

    The utility I gave him can boot to xp without going to the OS choice menu.
    He never said running 2 OS at the same time. Although VM is a solution,
    he talked about a backup system and Virtual computers are not backup
    systems.
    If he had asked about that i would told him about VMWARE or VIRTUAL PC.

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
    >> The other people who replied have no idea what you mean.
    >> Indeed, I have seen a small utility that you could choose it to boot and
    >> change OS from within windows, It worked only with windows (not Linux).
    >> However I cannot recall its name.
    >> So All I can do is tell you that what you want exists...
    >> and you should continue searching for it.
    >>

    > all that does is shutdown windows and reboot the machine
    > to a different OS...
    > it serves no real purpose and certainly does not do what the OP
    > asked for.
    > except for running a 2nd OS within a virtual machine...
    > one needs to reboot

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > You are wrong.
    >
    > Yes it does do what he wants. His question was :
    >
    > "is there any possiblity that i can
    > boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu?"

    you did not read the question by the OP...
    he specifically says "without booting again"

    aargh!
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    yes but he cant have a backup system without booting again... so I gave him
    the most hasle free solution.

    he does NOT have to manually boot again.

    > "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
    >> You are wrong.
    >>
    >> Yes it does do what he wants. His question was :
    >>
    >> "is there any possiblity that i can
    >> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu?"
    >>

    > you did not read the question by the OP...
    > he specifically says "without booting again"
    >

    > aargh!

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os.
    >> and id like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any
    >> possiblity that i can
    >> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from
    >> inside xp
    >> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again?
    >> Thanks a lot!
    >
    > You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to
    > dual boot, you will have to choose from the boot options screen.
    >
    > Bobby

    This is where Macs have the edge over PCs. On my G5 I can run three
    operating systems simultaneously *without* rebooting. Tiger, Classic (OS9)
    and XP Pro (via Virtual PC).
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In your own shrill words "this is a Win XP newsgroup, what has that have to
    do with(insert subject here) Mac's?...BLAH BLAH" Said many many times.
    HYPOCRITE
    IFC

    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os.
    >>> and id like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any
    >>> possiblity that i can
    >>> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from
    >>> inside xp
    >>> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again?
    >>> Thanks a lot!
    >>
    >> You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to
    >> dual boot, you will have to choose from the boot options screen.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >
    > This is where Macs have the edge over PCs. On my G5 I can run three
    > operating systems simultaneously *without* rebooting. Tiger, Classic (OS9)
    > and XP Pro (via Virtual PC).

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You MAC stinks... I have more OS on my PC than you can imagine using
    VMWARE...
    INCLUDING tiger using cherryOS.

    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> "jeff" <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Guys! I just install my xp To my System as a primary system os.
    >>> and id like to install win 98 as a backup os. and is there any
    >>> possiblity that i can
    >>> boot my system to xp without going to that os choice menu? and from
    >>> inside xp
    >>> (after booting xp) transfer from win98 without rebooting again?
    >>> Thanks a lot!
    >>
    >> You cannot have two OSes active at the same time. If you want to
    >> dual boot, you will have to choose from the boot options screen.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >
    > This is where Macs have the edge over PCs. On my G5 I can run three
    > operating systems simultaneously *without* rebooting. Tiger, Classic (OS9)
    > and XP Pro (via Virtual PC).

Configuration Boot Microsoft Customization Windows XP