Do I need new PSU? Is the one im using compatible?

charlietm

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hi,
My brother has upgraded his computer and has kindly given me some parts, i intend to use my OLD PSU if i can.. Or is this one not compatible?
The PSU is a..
Hiper SF-420TS (420W) - http://www.nordichardware.com/Power-...W.html#content
With the motherboard. Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 3.3) http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2456#ov
I will be using a Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB with this..

I have plugged everything in.
The motherboard has a 24 pin connector which i have plugged the 20 pin from the PSU and the 4 pin adapter into the top of the mobo.
When i turn the power on at the plug the computer boots without me pressing the power button on the front of the case but nothing comes on on the screen.

Thanks so much for any help.
Cheers
Charlie

That PSU is powerful enough to power your system. Did you connect the PCI Express 6 pin cable to the video card? What CPU is installed?

You should test it outside of the case. You may have a mounting post or something else that's shorting out the motherboard.

charlietm

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Yeah i have plugged in the PCI express 6 pin cable with the converter.

I am unsure of the CPU as its hidden under the large heat sink, is it easy to take this off to see what it is?

I guess ill have to take it out of the case and give that a go...

Is the motherboard outside of the case? If not test it outside of the case to rule out a short. It's possible the PSU isn't compatible (that rarely happens), but it definitely is powerful enough to power up the motherboard and video card.

It should be powerful enough to power up that system. I'm not saying that it will run fine if the OP maximizes CPU/GPU utilization, but unless that PSU has an issue, the system should power up. I never had an issue using an old PSU with a 20 pin main connector to power up a system.

Depending on his config it may well be, I've run a pair of the cards with a 375w/30a Dell and a single on a 305w/22a Dell
Was just responding to the first question
"Do I need new PSU?"