Upgrade advice - afraid of bottleneck

rhiyadm

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hi guys, I need any advice or comments you can give me. I'm afraid of bottlenecking my system.

My current setup is:
AMD FX6100
Asus M5A99X EVO
16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866
Sapphire Radeon HD6670
Generic 650W PSU (possible to bottleneck my system)

Ill be upgrading:
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W
GPU: CrossFire 2x Gigabyte Radeon HD7770 (because I just want to test CrossFire technology)

Will this do me any good?
I open to any comment guys. Hit me up! Thanks!

Solution
Your PSU offers no performance and can therefore not bottleneck your system, it can only put out so much power and could limit the components that you can run. In your case however a 650W PSU should be sufficient, provided it is performing up to its rated wattage, and to get two(2) HD 7770 just to test CrossFire seems like you have money to burn, in reality you typically get 150% the performance of one(1) graphics card when used in CrossFire and so it would probably be best to go with a higher performing card (HD 7870 for exaple). A likely bottleneck which you may not be aware of is your storage option, a Hard Disk Drive is far slower than a Solid State Drive and one can be picked up for a reasonable price.
If it were me, I would go...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Bottlenecks are dependent on the game in question. That said, I've seen a lot of people pointing at PhenomII CPUs (or more often I5s or even I3s) in place of the FX series from AMD.

AMDs latest offerings have not been impressive, I wouldn't hesitate to go Intel; however the PhenomII 965BE is still a good value.

slaughtter

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Concerning the PSU: A sturdy PSU is an important part of the system, and you want to have a little wiggle room for extra power but 875 is beyond overkill for your system. Honestly the PSU you have now is even more than enough for what you have.

As for the GPUs: Do not crossfire if you are afraid of bottlenecking. If you plan on spending money on two 7770's, I would suggest you get a 7950 instead. It is an amazing card, and fits the pricepoint you plan on spending for upgrades. If you need any suggestions, It's your preference on the company, but the Sapphire Vapor-x 7950 is what I've been seeing topping the charts, and in some cases matching 7970s.

Hope I helped! :D

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Your PSU offers no performance and can therefore not bottleneck your system, it can only put out so much power and could limit the components that you can run. In your case however a 650W PSU should be sufficient, provided it is performing up to its rated wattage, and to get two(2) HD 7770 just to test CrossFire seems like you have money to burn, in reality you typically get 150% the performance of one(1) graphics card when used in CrossFire and so it would probably be best to go with a higher performing card (HD 7870 for exaple). A likely bottleneck which you may not be aware of is your storage option, a Hard Disk Drive is far slower than a Solid State Drive and one can be picked up for a reasonable price.
If it were me, I would go the SSD route and if you feel you need more video performance go with a higher level graphics card.

Hope that helps.

Solution

rhiyadm

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks guys! your comments and suggestions really helped. By the way, im using a WD 500gb caviar blue on my primary and another for my secondary storage. @noreaster did mention an SSD option, I'd note that.

I guess this problem is solved! :)