bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello everyone ,

Just finished putting together my new pc and i cannot for the love of me get the sound to work.

I double checked my cables and connections and everything seems to be in place. I only use

a headset since my monitor doesn't have built in speakers but they are working just fine since

i tested them on a laptop. I plug them in both in the front and in the back panel jacks but nothing

pops up on the screen and off course no sound. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek

driver but no improvements. Also it keeps using as default a Realtek digital output and i managed to

add speakers. I would like to mention that on my device manager i have some unresolved issues namely

Ethernet controller , PCI controller , SM BUS controller which need drivers but i couldn't find them online

although i don't know if they are mandatory. My OS is Windows 7 64bit , Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO with

an I5-3570k. Any suggestions from you experienced fellas will be greatly appreciated , it is really driving me

crazy. Thanks in advance!

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for the fast response cball1311 , already had tried that but did it anyway, tried installing a previous

version aswell but same thing still. My default media output is Realtek high definition audio (optical) which i have

no idea what it is. Anyway my rear and front jacks still are unresponsive.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
No they don't. I was searching for possible connectivity issues but i really doubt it since both the front and rear
jacks don't work and i only hooked up the front one.

EDIT: i also forgot to mention that i have no POST sound whatsoever . could it be a wrong cabling on my part?

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
No, POST sounds come from internal speaker. Has nothing to do with integrated audio. Did you resolve all the driver problems that you were having with the device manager. I would try to get them working and then come back to the sound.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
So i managed to deal with all the yellow exclamation marks in device manager apart from SM BUS controller.

I read that downloading the chipset driver would deal with that but it did not . I know my hardware IDs but

i can't find the drivers. Do you think the bus controller can be affecting my sound? anyway the hardware ids are

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_84CA1043&REV_04
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_84CA1043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&CC_0C05

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Device manager is indeed fixed but sound is not once again. Could i have done something wrong with the cabling

that screwed it up?? As fas as i know i only plugged in HD audio from the front panel to the motherboard as far

as sound goes. Speakers still are "unplugged" and the jacks won't recognize whatever audio device i plug in.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Does it matter if i switch between HD or AC97 front panel in realtek? In AC option i can

switch to speakers in default audio output but still there is no audible sound from my

headset. It's a really desperate situation.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Do you guys think i would benefit if i bought a new dedicated sound card?? So as to override this problem,

since i am not able to fix it so far.

Dperry918

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Im having the exact same problem with an identical setup with what you have listed, I have looked days end on how to fix this also.

Dperry918

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Please do, im probably gonna start a new thread to see if anyone else knows anything, check in on it every now and then.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I admit being a newbie and this is my first build but i double checked the connections also according to

the motherboard manual and it seems right. Also , i imagine that if i did the cabling wrong , it would only

affect the front panel audio jacks which is not the case. Both front and back jacks are unresponsive when

i plug my device(s) in.

You say the default output is Realtek .... optical. What other choices are available?

Dperry918

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

I wouldnt think it would be a motherboard problem with me and him having identical issues but you never know both our chipsets could be bad.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Sorry for the somewhat late response , my OS is windows 7 64bit , i have the choice to switch between HD audio and

AC97. The other devices are several Digital audio (HDMI) and Speakers. I managed to put speakers as default with selecting

AC97 front panel through realtek but it still doesn't "see" my headset when i plug it in. The sound at the right bottom corner

seems to be responding ( green bar hopping ) but no audible sound of course. Thank you for the time you took to help me ,

i really appreciate it. Also do you think i should get a new sound card as cball suggested ? because it's far easier than

replacing the motherboard.

EDIT : The only selections when i went into bios at startup are : HD audio controller enabled , Front panel type (AC97 or HD) ,

SPDIF Type (SPDIF/HDMI). I didn't mention earlier that i kept my quite old HDD for my new setup but i don't know if that's of

any importance.