Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New setup , no sound

Last response: in Components
Share
January 19, 2013 2:25:57 PM

Hello everyone ,

Just finished putting together my new pc and i cannot for the love of me get the sound to work.

I double checked my cables and connections and everything seems to be in place. I only use

a headset since my monitor doesn't have built in speakers but they are working just fine since

i tested them on a laptop. I plug them in both in the front and in the back panel jacks but nothing

pops up on the screen and off course no sound. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek

driver but no improvements. Also it keeps using as default a Realtek digital output and i managed to

add speakers. I would like to mention that on my device manager i have some unresolved issues namely

Ethernet controller , PCI controller , SM BUS controller which need drivers but i couldn't find them online

although i don't know if they are mandatory. My OS is Windows 7 64bit , Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO with

an I5-3570k. Any suggestions from you experienced fellas will be greatly appreciated , it is really driving me

crazy. Thanks in advance!

More about : setup sound

January 19, 2013 2:59:49 PM

Thank you for the fast response cball1311 , already had tried that but did it anyway, tried installing a previous

version aswell but same thing still. My default media output is Realtek high definition audio (optical) which i have

no idea what it is. Anyway my rear and front jacks still are unresponsive.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 3:27:21 PM

When you plug in your headset, does the speakers come up in the audio mixer. If so, right click on them and set them to default.
January 19, 2013 3:59:56 PM

No they don't. I was searching for possible connectivity issues but i really doubt it since both the front and rear
jacks don't work and i only hooked up the front one.

EDIT: i also forgot to mention that i have no POST sound whatsoever . could it be a wrong cabling on my part?
January 19, 2013 4:08:40 PM

No, POST sounds come from internal speaker. Has nothing to do with integrated audio. Did you resolve all the driver problems that you were having with the device manager. I would try to get them working and then come back to the sound.
January 19, 2013 4:11:55 PM

Will try to resolve them and i will post the results , thank you for you time man.
January 19, 2013 5:00:52 PM

So i managed to deal with all the yellow exclamation marks in device manager apart from SM BUS controller.

I read that downloading the chipset driver would deal with that but it did not . I know my hardware IDs but

i can't find the drivers. Do you think the bus controller can be affecting my sound? anyway the hardware ids are

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_84CA1043&REV_04
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&SUBSYS_84CA1043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E22&CC_0C05
January 19, 2013 5:17:00 PM

It could be. You downloaded the 200 and some odd MB chipset driver? If you did, this should have fixed it.
January 19, 2013 5:57:32 PM

Device manager is indeed fixed but sound is not once again. Could i have done something wrong with the cabling

that screwed it up?? As fas as i know i only plugged in HD audio from the front panel to the motherboard as far

as sound goes. Speakers still are "unplugged" and the jacks won't recognize whatever audio device i plug in.
January 19, 2013 6:00:25 PM

It shouldn't say optical if you just plugging in headphones. Optical is a digital connection, headphone jacks are analog.
January 19, 2013 6:07:58 PM

Does it matter if i switch between HD or AC97 front panel in realtek? In AC option i can

switch to speakers in default audio output but still there is no audible sound from my

headset. It's a really desperate situation.
January 19, 2013 9:48:49 PM

Do you guys think i would benefit if i bought a new dedicated sound card?? So as to override this problem,

since i am not able to fix it so far.
January 19, 2013 9:50:22 PM

Im having the exact same problem with an identical setup with what you have listed, I have looked days end on how to fix this also.
January 19, 2013 10:03:14 PM

It's really weird of a problem i have tried literally everything. I will let you know if i get it working somehow.
January 19, 2013 10:08:38 PM

Please do, im probably gonna start a new thread to see if anyone else knows anything, check in on it every now and then.
January 19, 2013 10:16:52 PM

Are you sure you have your front panel wires connected correctly?
January 19, 2013 10:29:31 PM

jnkweaver said:
Are you sure you have your front panel wires connected correctly?


I admit being a newbie and this is my first build but i double checked the connections also according to

the motherboard manual and it seems right. Also , i imagine that if i did the cabling wrong , it would only

affect the front panel audio jacks which is not the case. Both front and back jacks are unresponsive when

i plug my device(s) in.
January 19, 2013 11:10:48 PM

What OS are you using?

So you installed the Realtek audio drivers?
January 20, 2013 1:32:09 AM

Me and him both have installed the drives and are having identical issues.
January 20, 2013 1:42:41 AM

Then I would either RMA the board and get another one, maybe a different brand or get a cheap 7.1 digital sound card.
January 20, 2013 1:46:34 AM

Your have AC97 set in the Bios for audio?
January 20, 2013 1:48:43 AM

bigplays said:
Thank you for the fast response cball1311 , already had tried that but did it anyway, tried installing a previous

version aswell but same thing still. My default media output is Realtek high definition audio (optical) which i have

no idea what it is. Anyway my rear and front jacks still are unresponsive.


You say the default output is Realtek .... optical. What other choices are available?
January 20, 2013 1:49:25 AM

cball1311 said:
Then I would either RMA the board and get another one, maybe a different brand or get a cheap 7.1 digital sound card.



I wouldnt think it would be a motherboard problem with me and him having identical issues but you never know both our chipsets could be bad.
January 20, 2013 6:57:53 AM

jnkweaver said:
You say the default output is Realtek .... optical. What other choices are available?

Sorry for the somewhat late response , my OS is windows 7 64bit , i have the choice to switch between HD audio and

AC97. The other devices are several Digital audio (HDMI) and Speakers. I managed to put speakers as default with selecting

AC97 front panel through realtek but it still doesn't "see" my headset when i plug it in. The sound at the right bottom corner

seems to be responding ( green bar hopping ) but no audible sound of course. Thank you for the time you took to help me ,

i really appreciate it. Also do you think i should get a new sound card as cball suggested ? because it's far easier than

replacing the motherboard.

EDIT : The only selections when i went into bios at startup are : HD audio controller enabled , Front panel type (AC97 or HD) ,

SPDIF Type (SPDIF/HDMI). I didn't mention earlier that i kept my quite old HDD for my new setup but i don't know if that's of

any importance.
January 20, 2013 4:39:25 PM

I checked for one of those in an electronics store today but didn't find it. Let me know if it works for you please.

Right now i am thinking i might return the motherboard and get another one, since it's been like 3 days since they

brought it to me.
January 20, 2013 6:53:09 PM

When you connected your front panel connectors to the mb what were the labels on the connectors? In particular I am looking for the mic and headphone connectors.
January 20, 2013 6:58:48 PM

Im almost posotive it will work, Im actually using my astro gaming mixamp to use computer audio right now. My computer detects the SPDIF and i just plug my speakers straight into the amp. Just very obnoxious. I might RMA soon since asus has a very good RMA service.
January 20, 2013 7:52:21 PM

jnkweaver said:
When you connected your front panel connectors to the mb what were the labels on the connectors? In particular I am looking for the mic and headphone connectors.


It was HD audio regarding the sound plus the usbs and fans as far as i know.
January 20, 2013 8:28:39 PM

2748278,25,1654282 said:
Sorry for the somewhat late response , my OS is windows 7 64bit , i have the choice to switch between HD audio and

AC97. The other devices are several Digital audio (HDMI) and Speakers. I managed to put speakers as default with selecting

AC97 front panel through realtek but it still doesn't "see" my headset when i plug it in. The sound at the right bottom corner

seems to be responding ( green bar hopping ) but no audible sound of course. Thank you for the time you took to help me ,

i really appreciate it. Also do you think i should get a new sound card as cball suggested ? because it's far easier than

replacing the motherboard.

EDIT : The only selections when i went into bios at startup are : HD audio controller enabled , Front panel type (AC97 or HD) ,

quotemsg]

Ok here you said that you were chosing AC97 but just now you said it was HD audio.

Let's be clear. There is a hardware chip on your motherboard that puts out sound. It is either HD audio or AC97. There are Realtek drivers for both but you have to have the right driver installed. It looks like you motherboard has a Realtek ALC892
which is HD audio. You should have installed the drivers from the ASUS Support site or your mb driver disc. Im at work and can't attatch the image but if you need to see it you should get the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Now as far as your front connectors go that depends totally on whether you connected your connectors to the motherboard correctly. Did it have a HD audio connector, AC97 connector, or a bunch of single wires?
January 20, 2013 8:53:37 PM

jnkweaver said:
2748278,25,1654282 said:
Sorry for the somewhat late response , my OS is windows 7 64bit , i have the choice to switch between HD audio and

AC97. The other devices are several Digital audio (HDMI) and Speakers. I managed to put speakers as default with selecting

AC97 front panel through realtek but it still doesn't "see" my headset when i plug it in. The sound at the right bottom corner

seems to be responding ( green bar hopping ) but no audible sound of course. Thank you for the time you took to help me ,

i really appreciate it. Also do you think i should get a new sound card as cball suggested ? because it's far easier than

replacing the motherboard.

EDIT : The only selections when i went into bios at startup are : HD audio controller enabled , Front panel type (AC97 or HD) ,

quotemsg]

Ok here you said that you were chosing AC97 but just now you said it was HD audio.

Let's be clear. There is a hardware chip on your motherboard that puts out sound. It is either HD audio or AC97. There are Realtek drivers for both but you have to have the right driver installed. It looks like you motherboard has a Realtek ALC892
which is HD audio. You should have installed the drivers from the ASUS Support site or your mb driver disc. Im at work and can't attatch the image but if you need to see it you should get the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Now as far as your front connectors go that depends totally on whether you connected your connectors to the motherboard correctly. Did it have a HD audio connector, AC97 connector, or a bunch of single wires?
said:


Thank you once again for taking the time to help jnkweaver , i hooked up a bundle of wires named HD audio and plugged it

into AAFP header as was shown in both the cases manuals (NZXT 410) and the motherboard's. I have HD realtek installed

which i mentioned gives me a choice to change the front only panel to ac97 or hd.
January 20, 2013 8:58:04 PM

I had audio fail on my V-pro just weeks after building my rig.

It just decided that my speakers weren't plugged in and that was that.
January 20, 2013 9:02:28 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I had audio fail on my V-pro just weeks after building my rig.

It just decided that my speakers weren't plugged in and that was that.


So you have no audio since then or did i get something wrong ? :sweat: 
January 20, 2013 9:05:19 PM

I exchanged the board, and my audio worked.

No driver updates, or settings changed or anything.

Old board out. New board in. Audio worked.
January 20, 2013 9:08:04 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I exchanged the board, and my audio worked.

No driver updates, or settings changed or anything.

Old board out. New board in. Audio worked.


It seems that will be my next step , i already emailed the place i bought it and i am waiting for an answer. Thank you for you input.
January 20, 2013 9:12:22 PM

bigplays said:
I have HD realtek installed which i mentioned gives me a choice to change the front only panel to ac97 or hd.


That is for those old case that only have AC97 connections on front. Thanks for telling me that is in the program. I had someone looking in the bios for that.
January 20, 2013 9:19:09 PM

jnkweaver said:
That is for those old case that only have AC97 connections on front. Thanks for telling me that is in the program. I had someone looking in the bios for that.


Oh sorry for the hassle i may caused , i quite illiterate when it comes to such technical stuff but this problem seems to be

either a mystery or a faulty motherboard . I will get them to replace it this week if i can, i am going to bed now since it's

quite late in the EU. So thank you for the trouble you went through , i will check the post in the morning if something comes

up.
January 20, 2013 9:24:30 PM

I have some of the same problems with my ASUS 990FX R2.0 (USB 3.0 doesn't work either), but I already had an independent soundcard in, so sound works just fine. If you can, get one, because they're not very expensive.
January 21, 2013 7:37:57 AM

I just received mail from the company i bought the motherboard , i can give it back for a full refund so

i will do that an probably get another brand probably gigabyte , hope i have better luck with them

*fingers crossed* . Thank you everyone for helping out anyway , especially jnkweaver.
!