Sign in with
Your question

Another sign of a failing GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 6:10:31 PM

Last week I was asking why I couldn't select the correct resolution for my monitor anymore and someone mentioned that it might be a sign that my GPU was failing. I didn't really believe him at first but lately when I try and turn my computer on in the morning it won't show a picture. Usually I bust it open and start messing with stuff until it'll work but today I decide to just turn it off and try it again, and to my supprise it booted right up. Would this be another sign that my gpu was failing, I don't think it would be my fairly new PSU going bad because all my fans go full blast, and I hear the HDD grinding away like it normally does.

Please don't recommend GPU's for me, I've been looking for a long time for a new one and I already have a good idea what I want, plus I have another thread open already asking about them :p 

More about : sign failing gpu

July 17, 2012 6:24:04 PM

Are you confident that the PSU provides enough amps on the 12V rail for your current GPU?
m
l
July 17, 2012 6:26:16 PM

Just saw your stats at the bottom of the post so that does not look like the issue.

Have you tried uninstalling your current driver and installing the lates driver for your GPU?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 6:31:40 PM

mmaatt747 said:
Just saw your stats at the bottom of the post so that does not look like the issue.

Have you tried uninstalling your current driver and installing the lates driver for your GPU?

Well like I said I can't pick the right resolution so the first thing I tried to make it come back was updating the video drivers, then I rolled them back, since that didn't fix that problem I just left them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 17, 2012 6:43:35 PM

Are you sure the video was not displaying when you turned it on at first? Or did the system just crash on wake?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 17, 2012 6:45:46 PM

for the resolution issue: Run a registry cleaner and see if that fixes it, CCleaner is the one I like the most, but there are other good ones out there. Windows will sometimes get confused about the aspect ratio of a monitor, and then not allow you to pick a resolution that has the correct aspect. Fixing the registry with a cleaner, or going in and manually setting the registry can fix this issue.
m
l
July 17, 2012 6:45:56 PM

You haven't changed monitors by chance have you? Using a monitor with less resolution will affect what resolution you can select in Windows. Also what are your GPU temps?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 7:08:52 PM

mmaatt747 said:
You haven't changed monitors by chance have you? Using a monitor with less resolution will affect what resolution you can select in Windows. Also what are your GPU temps?

Nope been using this monitor since I set up this computer, and it use to work fine, my GPU temps usually won't go above 60C, it's not a very powerful GPU by any means
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 7:09:48 PM

CaedenV said:
for the resolution issue: Run a registry cleaner and see if that fixes it, CCleaner is the one I like the most, but there are other good ones out there. Windows will sometimes get confused about the aspect ratio of a monitor, and then not allow you to pick a resolution that has the correct aspect. Fixing the registry with a cleaner, or going in and manually setting the registry can fix this issue.

I'll see if anything comes up.

Nope didn't fix it, but right now I'm more worried about why my computer doesn't always want to turn on, I hope it's my GPU and not my mother board. I like to think it is in the fact the GPU because I should mention it never did this once until after the Resolution got messed up.
m
l
July 17, 2012 8:29:47 PM

mace200200 said:
Nope didn't fix it, but right now I'm more worried about why my computer doesn't always want to turn on

I see what you mean. At this point, if it were my computer, I would remove the GPU and uninstall the drivers for it. Then I would run the computer for awhile just using the on-board graphics port. Then if you're not experiencing any issues you know it's the GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 17, 2012 11:04:58 PM

mmaatt747 said:
I see what you mean. At this point, if it were my computer, I would remove the GPU and uninstall the drivers for it. Then I would run the computer for awhile just using the on-board graphics port. Then if you're not experiencing any issues you know it's the GPU.

good point, removing the GPU will let you know really quickly if that is where the problem is. However I find it highly unlikely... most of my GPUs have gone out in style (everything from a literal sizzle, to just plain not working one day), but I have yet to run into one that was intermittant. It's kinda like saying someone has a bad CPU. I am sure it happens... but it is so damn rare because the things are so well protected, and both AMD and Intel have such astronomical standards.
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:40:09 PM

CaedenV said:
good point, removing the GPU will let you know really quickly if that is where the problem is. However I find it highly unlikely... most of my GPUs have gone out in style (everything from a literal sizzle, to just plain not working one day), but I have yet to run into one that was intermittant. It's kinda like saying someone has a bad CPU. I am sure it happens... but it is so damn rare because the things are so well protected, and both AMD and Intel have such astronomical standards.

Yea I actually doubt it's the problem as well. I simply suggested it because if the OP is still having power issues with the GPU removed, then I think it's more important to tackle that problem first before bothering any more with the resolution issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 5:08:21 PM

Hard to test if it won't happen with the onboard graphics since it doesn't USUALLY happen. This morning it started up like normal. So far everything adds up to the GPU failing, it runs at 100% for every game I play besides Warcraft 3, and COD2, both very old games, so I'm sure that didn't help it not die.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 6:49:44 PM

My friend gave me a DVI cable, now I'm running in the correct 1440x960 resolution. Now I wonder if I'll still have problems turning on my computer some days.
m
l
July 18, 2012 7:54:55 PM

mace200200 said:
My friend gave me a DVI cable, now I'm running in the correct 1440x960 resolution.

Well that's good atleast. So you think maybe the previous DVI cable was faulty or were you using a different port?

As for the power problem that's going to be a tough one. Tracing and fixing problems that only happen once in awhile are the worst to diagnose (especially when it comes to power as you don't get error codes etc.).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 8:13:22 PM

So the last few days now I've noticed green pixels dancing around when I look a certain things in games, and even in Windows. I updated back to the latest drivers and it helped a little bit but they're still there. My temps stay at like 60C so i don't think it's over heating, and I'm not overclocked at all. Is this a driver issue, or my gpu iteself?
m
l
!