Sign in with
Your question

Need upgrade advice.

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2012 9:45:18 PM

I built my computer about 4 years ago, and the only thing I've upgraded since is my GPU. Due to Planetside 2 and GW2, I've noticed it's time for another major upgrade. I can't, however, tell what I want or need.

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
MB: ASUS P5N72-T PREMIUM
GPU: Radeon 6950 HD 1GB
RAM: 4GB DDR2

I'm well aware my processor and RAM need some upgrades.. problem is, my mobo doesn't support DDR3. My question is, should I just upgrade my processor and settle for less since I have an older mobo, or should I just go all out and upgrade mobo, RAM, and CPU? And if so, can anyone recommend some hardware? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I'm not quite sure what kind of prices I'll be looking at yet so I can't give a budget.

More about : upgrade advice

a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2012 3:10:38 AM

I would get a 2gb card, you have a good CPU that still will work well, but the thing is I don't know how fast your PCIe slots are, if it is 2.0 then you could get a 660ti or 7870. But if it is 1.0 then I would consider a full upgrade.
September 5, 2012 5:12:35 AM

I've heard that 2GB doesn't really matter if you're not in a resolution past 1980x1080 on a few occasions.. but I could be wrong.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5N72...

This says I have PCIe 2.0.. but my CPU-Z lists 1.xx by the name of the motherboard. The 1.xx might not mean PCIe 1 though, I'm not very fluent with the program.
!