Sign in with
Your question

$1000-1500 computer for digital artist

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2012 9:49:47 PM

Hi, I'm a digital artist using Mac and haven't looked at the PC market in the last five years so I'm very lost here.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: Under $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator, Flash

Are you buying a monitor: Yes (budget not including monitor)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Parts Preferences: I guess I would need a good graphic card, strong processor and lots of RAM.

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure

Your Monitor Resolution: I have a Samsung 19'' but might upgrade to 21'' to 27''. I've heard that IPS monitors are better for digital painting but not sure if I really need one.

Additional Comments: My main concerns are the visual quality and the workflow when working with huge files in Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator, Flash (sometimes 3 or 4 of them at once). I also want a quiet machine.

I've been working in Photoshop and Painter solely on my Macbook Pro, only using the 5 years old PC for some light tasks. Now I want to switch my workstation to the desktop for more work space and a larger screen and to use some Window-only graphic softwares. I also want to work with some 3D programs such as ZBrush and Maya in the near future (but not as much as the 2D programs).

Thanks in advance.
September 6, 2012 1:47:01 AM

Thanks for your help, The Big Troll! I think I'll go with Windows.
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2012 1:48:39 AM

no problem. if you do want to use both OS's, you always have the option
m
l
!