Just thought I'd let you all know I quit

I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
that there IS life after WoW.
21 answers Last reply
More about just thought quit

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > > that there IS life after WoW.
    >
    > Sure. It's called sleep and work.

    You sleep? I can't seem to make those numbers add up.

    10 hrs/day work
    14 hrs/day WoW
    --
    24 hrs/day

    You do *know* that there are only 24 hrs in a day!?

    I tried to play with the numbers a bit to give time for sleep by
    reducing work to be 8 hrs/day. That didn't work because WoW just
    expanded to be 16 hrs/day.

    steve.kaye

    On 5 Sep 2005 01:42:25 -0700, "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

    >I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    >see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    >alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    >that there IS life after WoW.

    I watched an interview yesterday on G4TV.... one of their innane
    shows.... The one with the blond that is in desperate need of a hair
    brush and some metal exraction....

    Anyway the interview was with the guy that runs the company that
    published Asheron's Call and AC2. He was talking about the
    announcement that they are going to close AC2 in December.

    What was interesting was his comments avout friends bringing their
    friends into WoW and other games. He likened it to more of a social
    function than a game which supports a contention that I have had for
    many years now.

    These games thrive on peer pressure. They depend on not the solo
    player but the group players. WoW is quite different in this aspect
    because solo play is a very strong part of the game. It is one reason
    I enjoy it as much as I do. I can come on and putz around by myself a
    lot or I can join up with my Guildies if I want to.

    Other games like EQ and EQ2 have installed systems that almost require
    group play in an effort to play off the friendship angles to keep
    players in the game. WoW hasn't hit that style of marketing yet so far
    as I have seen.

    Life is about balance. You need the proper balance of work, home and
    social life to be happy and healthy. We try to cram too much into our
    wakeing hours these days. WoW isn't my ONLY activity.

    "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

    > Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > that there IS life after WoW.

    Sure. It's called sleep and work.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (18) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    ..
    "Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
    > "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    >> that there IS life after WoW.
    >
    > Sure. It's called sleep and work.

    <shudder>

    > I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    > see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    > alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > that there IS life after WoW.

    So why'd ya quit then?

    --
    Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
    http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138

    steve.kaye wrote:
    > Christian Stauffer wrote:
    >
    >>"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    >>>that there IS life after WoW.
    >>
    >>Sure. It's called sleep and work.
    >

    > You sleep? I can't seem to make those numbers add up.
    >
    > 10 hrs/day work
    > 14 hrs/day WoW
    > --
    > 24 hrs/day
    >
    > You do *know* that there are only 24 hrs in a day!?
    >
    > I tried to play with the numbers a bit to give time for sleep by
    > reducing work to be 8 hrs/day. That didn't work because WoW just
    > expanded to be 16 hrs/day.
    >
    > steve.kaye

    I can easily tell you what can kill your WoW experience. It is called a
    *woman*. They are lvl ?? (Boss) named elites, which is a problem because:

    1. They are immune to your counterspell casts when they start talking.

    2. They are very resistant to stuns, since they start casting another
    blabla spell immediately.

    3. Your only chance is if Hibernate works on these beasts and puts them
    to sleep. However, thorns and loud noise can break the sleep and you are
    in trouble.

    4. Their seduce ability is extremely powerful and annoying.

    5. Do NOT ever try to fear them, they will run off and return with the
    worst of all bosses - Mother-in-lawgnaros. This boss has an annoying AoE
    screech that kills every life in a HUGE radius, its DPS worse than even
    the Kazzak attack. Every spell you try to cast on her creates
    *excessive* amount of aggro, which means insta-kill.

    I can tell you that going against this beast has reduced my WoW playtime
    from ~10 hrs/day to ~3 hours/day, it is THAT bad!

    I had the sam girlfriend problem but the trick is to make her play 2 :p.
    She was screaming about WOW for 4 months now and instead of me quitting she
    started :)
    btw now she has a lot more understanding for when I'm in an istance party
    and dinner is ready because she nows now how hard it is to follow ppl in and
    istance u dont know well, fighting, chatting and staying alive. before she
    used to ask in the middle of the istance or boss fight can u give me a
    kiss... come here and hug me.. come have dinner...
    And dont make her play a boring class like paladin or she will be bored soon
    and she will quit and u're back at the start ( warlock or something like
    that)

    While digging out a new addition to the Den, DaFox found a scrap of parchment. On it,
    "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

    >I quit this game (WoW)

    Wow... no one has yet to do a ........
    CIHYS

    --

    When E-mailing me, remove the Anti-Spam Device (Super) from my reply address
    ICQ:6154582 Haven't got ICQ? Go here: http://www.icq.com/

    "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
    >I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    > see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    > alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > that there IS life after WoW.

    Now you have much more time to watch the tenth re-run of Friends.

    "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
    >I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    > see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    > alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > that there IS life after WoW.

    - But apparently not usenet.

    On 5-9-2005 12:06, porl wrote:
    > "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >>I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    >>see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    >>alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    >>that there IS life after WoW.
    >

    > - But apparently not usenet.

    So there's still hope! :)

    --
    Bow before me, for I am root.

    I told my wife about the Game, now she is more hooked than i am, still
    better that than being nagged about playing the game.

    "Night Elf" <email@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I had the sam girlfriend problem but the trick is to make her play 2 :p.
    > She was screaming about WOW for 4 months now and instead of me quitting
    > she started :)
    > btw now she has a lot more understanding for when I'm in an istance party
    > and dinner is ready because she nows now how hard it is to follow ppl in
    > and istance u dont know well, fighting, chatting and staying alive. before
    > she used to ask in the middle of the istance or boss fight can u give me a
    > kiss... come here and hug me.. come have dinner...
    > And dont make her play a boring class like paladin or she will be bored
    > soon and she will quit and u're back at the start ( warlock or something
    > like that)

    Mine only liked playing a Paladin because she found all the options too
    confusing, even after playing a rogue up to 30+. She said she just liked
    "hitting things with her hammer". Then she gave up playing because it was
    eating into her shopping time or something. So I'm back where I was before I
    convinced her to try it.

    In article <1125909745.692389.290610@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

    > I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    > see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    > alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > that there IS life after WoW.

    I've been playing WoW since day-1 (well, also beta...), have 1 lvl 49
    char, and a bunch of below-20 alts.

    Anyway, I just thought I'd drop by and let you all know that there can
    be life *AND* WoW.

    <G>

    --
    Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
    Also (rarely):

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:37:51 GMT, Nabuu wrote:
    > "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > I quit this game (WoW) about two months ago now. It's refreshing to
    > > see how much time it freed up. I had one level 60 character and a few
    > > alts who never broke 30. Anyway, just dropping in to let you all know
    > > that there IS life after WoW.
    >
    > I've been playing WoW since day-1 (well, also beta...), have 1 lvl 49
    > char, and a bunch of below-20 alts.
    >
    > Anyway, I just thought I'd drop by and let you all know that there can
    > be life *AND* WoW.

    Good to hear. Since I started playing in June my girl friend has been
    studying for her exams but in two week's time she'll be done with them. She
    has already announced that her tolerance for my play-time will be lowered at
    that point in time :-)

    I have tried hooking her but while she enjoys the occasional computer game
    she is more into 'short games' such as solitaire and such, where a game
    lasts around 5-15 minutes. Never mind that she sometimes spends hours with a
    tricky one. She just is totally unwilling to even try out WoW, that is not
    an option.

    In any case, I will need to figure out how to still occasionally play
    without having 2 hours a day or full weekends on-line^^ My big fear is
    that all my friends will out-level me quickly...

    Cheers
    Urbin

    --
    Urbin (54), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
    Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

    Stavros Christoforou wrote:
    > I can easily tell you what can kill your WoW experience. It is called a
    > *woman*. They are lvl ?? (Boss) named elites, which is a problem because:
    >
    > 1. They are immune to your counterspell casts when they start talking.
    >
    > 2. They are very resistant to stuns, since they start casting another
    > blabla spell immediately.
    >
    > 3. Your only chance is if Hibernate works on these beasts and puts them
    > to sleep. However, thorns and loud noise can break the sleep and you are
    > in trouble.
    >
    > 4. Their seduce ability is extremely powerful and annoying.
    >
    > 5. Do NOT ever try to fear them, they will run off and return with the
    > worst of all bosses - Mother-in-lawgnaros. This boss has an annoying AoE
    > screech that kills every life in a HUGE radius, its DPS worse than even
    > the Kazzak attack. Every spell you try to cast on her creates
    > *excessive* amount of aggro, which means insta-kill.
    >
    > I can tell you that going against this beast has reduced my WoW playtime
    > from ~10 hrs/day to ~3 hours/day, it is THAT bad!

    ROFL!

    6. Don't forget the elite minions (kids) that the woman spawns when
    aggroed. With their powerful psychic screams they can instantly draw
    you away from the computer. Your only chance is to sleep them
    beforehand and hope they don't break free early.
    --
    Erich

    "Nabuu" <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote:

    > I've been playing WoW since day-1 (well, also beta...), have 1 lvl 49
    > char, and a bunch of below-20 alts.
    >
    > Anyway, I just thought I'd drop by and let you all know that there can
    > be life *AND* WoW.

    But... why would someone want that?

    Chris

    --

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Nabuu" <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been playing WoW since day-1 (well, also beta...), have 1 lvl 49
    >> char, and a bunch of below-20 alts.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I just thought I'd drop by and let you all know that there can
    >> be life *AND* WoW.
    >

    > But... why would someone want that?
    >
    > Chris

    That thing called "life" is useful sometimes, as it allows you to escape
    from the stress of losing a roll for your desired item for the
    45234234th time, but don't overdo it as it make take over from WoW, and
    we don't want that, do we?

    > Good to hear. Since I started playing in June my girl friend has been
    > studying for her exams but in two week's time she'll be done with them.
    > She
    > has already announced that her tolerance for my play-time will be lowered
    > at
    > that point in time :-)
    >
    > I have tried hooking her but while she enjoys the occasional computer game
    > she is more into 'short games' such as solitaire and such, where a game
    > lasts around 5-15 minutes. Never mind that she sometimes spends hours with
    > tricky one. She just is totally unwilling to even try out WoW, that is not
    > an option.
    >
    > In any case, I will need to figure out how to still occasionally play
    > without having 2 hours a day or full weekends on-line^^ My big fear is
    > that all my friends will out-level me quickly...
    >
    > Cheers
    > Urbin

    What you need, my friend is a new g/f... but you leave Kira Songshine
    (travelling baker in Elwyn) alone - she's mine I tell you. MINE!! ;-)

    --
    Arathor[EU]
    Taipan [60] NE Hunter | Gaijin [60] Human Priest

    Al'Akir[EU]
    Teepee[27] Tauren Shaman

    Pepperin wrote:

    > Hell, I introduced my wife to Diablo 2 6 years ago, and WoW last year - she
    > has a 60 Pally, and I have 4 30+ alts. Who's more addicted? She's always
    > uninterested at first, then gets way into the games...

    Sound like she's more goal oriented (i.e. reach 60 asap) while you're
    more exploring the options (i.e. 4 alts).

    "Robandconny" <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > I told my wife about the Game, now she is more hooked than i am, still
    > better that than being nagged about playing the game.

    Hell, I introduced my wife to Diablo 2 6 years ago, and WoW last year - she
    has a 60 Pally, and I have 4 30+ alts. Who's more addicted? She's always
    uninterested at first, then gets way into the games...

    Pepperin

Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Video Games