Will i7-3820 bottleneck the gtx 690? in sli?

Zomborgi

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I just bought a new rig through cyberpower. I was debating between the i7-3960x (a six core) and the one stated above (a 4 core). I decided to go with the 4 core as I've read a lot of games do not yet support 6 cores and the 690 was already bringing the price up so high. Also i figured 3.6ghz over 4 cores would be better than 3.3ghz over 6 cores. Was this a mistake? I'm worried about my processor bottle-necking the 690? If I decided to get a second 690 when the prices go down will it bottleneck the 690 in sli?

I wasn't concerned about this until I read someone worrying about the i7-970 bottle-necking the gtx 690. At first I thought it was a little silly but then I got sort of concerned as this is nearly 15% better than my CPU. So I figured I'd ask about it here. Also in the future is there a way to determine whether or not bottle-necking will occur between 2 components such as a CPU and GPU?

Solution
Dont worry about bottlenecking.Your CPU is more that powerfull enough for one GTX 690.If youre going to buy another one you should overclock your CPU a bit.Overclocking it to 4 GHZ should be super easy and will increase your performance by up to 10%.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Dont worry about bottlenecking.Your CPU is more that powerfull enough for one GTX 690.If youre going to buy another one you should overclock your CPU a bit.Overclocking it to 4 GHZ should be super easy and will increase your performance by up to 10%.

Solution