Sign in with
Your question

Will Toughpower cable work on my TR2 RX

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2013 4:01:57 PM

Hi!

I have a problem, I changed my old Video card (GTS 250) that needed only 1 12v connector to new one (GTX 660ti) that need 2 connectors, now, my problem is that I moved and it seems that I lost my cables during the move (not sure how, I was sure I packed it). Anyway, I digress.

A friend of mine offered to lend me his spare cable, but we have different PSUs, I have a Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W and he has a Toughpower XT 675W, I noticed that the connectors are identical, but I'm worried, since in the thermaltake webpage they have different cables saying that "ONLY WORKS ON <X> MODEL".

Well... my Question is... Will his PSU Cable work on mine?.

Thank you for your time
a c 1173 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 5:52:18 PM

Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W (TRX-650M)
OEM: HEC/Compucase

Toughpower XT 675W (TPX-675M)
OEM: CWT (Channel Well Technology)

Do you know if the modular connectors at the power supply interface are wired exactly the same internally within the power supply? There is no industry standard for modular interfaces.

Two different OEMs would indicate that they wouldn't be the same and would mean that the cables are incompatible hence the warning that Thermaltake states.
m
l
January 20, 2013 6:42:07 PM

I have no idea internally, the actual connectors has the same shapes, but obviously that doesn't mean anything internally, it's part of the reason that I'm asking, I'm a bit paranoid about it :p  (probably with reason)

Is there anyone that could confirm that? or anyway I could? maybe with a multimeter? (without too much risk of course :p )

Thanks again
m
l
Related resources
a c 1173 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 6:51:04 PM

MrZeruel said:
I have no idea internally, the actual connectors has the same shapes, but obviously that doesn't mean anything internally, it's part of the reason that I'm asking, I'm a bit paranoid about it :p  (probably with reason)

Is there anyone that could confirm that? or anyway I could? maybe with a multimeter? (without too much risk of course :p )

Thanks again

You can always contact Thermaltake by e-mail and ask.
m
l
January 20, 2013 9:01:36 PM

Well I can guess how that mail would be answered xD

What I was thinking is that I have my friend's cable here, I just have to check on the PSU that the Ground pins are the same as in his cable and the same with the 12v pins, I'll do that test tomorrow with a multimeter.

If anyone think it's a bad idea I would like to hear it :p 

Anyway, thank you for helping me :) 
m
l
January 21, 2013 12:04:16 PM

Welp, I did some tests, it seems to work.

First I tested them directly on the PSU, every yellow cable on my friend's PCI-E was 12v (well 11.98), and every black cable was... well.. ground :p 

Then I plugged the cable just to confirm and tested in the VGA end of the cable, and everything seems fine again, yellow was 12v and black ground.

So it seems to be the same internally :D 

Thank you for all the help
m
l
a c 1173 ) Power supply
a c 545 U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 3:24:26 PM

MrZeruel said:
Welp, I did some tests, it seems to work.

First I tested them directly on the PSU, every yellow cable on my friend's PCI-E was 12v (well 11.98), and every black cable was... well.. ground :p 

Then I plugged the cable just to confirm and tested in the VGA end of the cable, and everything seems fine again, yellow was 12v and black ground.

So it seems to be the same internally :D 

Thank you for all the help

Yes, you did it the right way. Always measure and confirm before hooking it up to any components. It'll save you from burning anything out.
m
l
!