System Startup Question

I have 2 unidentified entries located in my System Configuration Utility
Startup...
Unidentified ... meaning the Startup Item name and the Command names are
both blank...
The Locations are:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Any one have any idea what they might be for & should it be safe to disable
them?
Thanks!
SeaJay

Leave them, they aren't start-up items, but the location where start-up
items go when they need to run at system start-up.

Andy

"SeaJay" <cfortune-NoSPAM-@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 unidentified entries located in my System Configuration Utility
>Startup...
> Unidentified ... meaning the Startup Item name and the Command names are
> both blank...
> The Locations are:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> Any one have any idea what they might be for & should it be safe to
> disable them?
> Thanks!
> SeaJay

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

It might be incorrect data (i.e. not "(value not set)") for 'default' string
in registry under the keys you've listed.
I've seen this behaviour on few OEM installations (Dell and HP)
Run regedit and see what it is.

"SeaJay" <cfortune-NoSPAM-@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 unidentified entries located in my System Configuration Utility
>Startup...
> Unidentified ... meaning the Startup Item name and the Command names are
> both blank...
> The Locations are:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> Any one have any idea what they might be for & should it be safe to
> disable them?
> Thanks!
> SeaJay

These are probably Startup orphans.

If there is no path in Value Data, the item shows up blank in
msconfig | Startup. Also if Default under Data is blank (nothing
there at all) instead of (value not set).

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>

What do you see in the right hand pane?
Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
column?

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>

What do you see in the right hand pane?
Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
column?

From StartMan HELP:
[[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.

How do they occur?

They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a
later date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't
know about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the
uninstaller deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan.
Orphans can also occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere.
Where an orphan is also enabled you may see missing file reports at
startup. In the case of menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will
attempt to resolve the target by a brute-force search for the file based
upon the information stored in the shortcut.

How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?

Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located.
Next, use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups -
if that is an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being
equal, the startups should be gone, along with the software that used
them. If not...]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes