Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AX-750 v. AX-760 v. AX-760i

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 5:51:09 PM

Hello all,

I am upgrading my PSU from a TX-650V2. I want to give myself enough power for added peripherals and future SLI, and I wanted a modular power supply. I like Corsair and have heard nothing but good things about their AX series, which is manufactured by Seasonic (as I understand).

Anyway, so I've been planning this upgrade for a while now and assumed I'd put in the AX-750. However, as I went to check prices the other day I discovered that they recently released the new series of 750 and 850W units.

So my question is, which one should I get? The AX-750 runs about $150-165, is Gold efficiency, and is overall a great PSU. However, the 760 is only $10-20 more expensive, Platinum efficiency, and has a very attractive fanless operation at low to medium load. The 760i seems a bit extravagant, since as far as I can see the only feature it has that the 760 doesn't is the Corsair monitoring software, which I can live without.

So, what (in your opinion) is the unit I should get? I am leaning toward the AX-760, with the assumption that the fanless operation will keep my rig quieter and the higher efficiency will pay for the small price difference over the lifetime of the PSU.

More about : 750 760 760i

a c 1098 ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 6:24:56 PM

The AX750 also operates in fanless mode below 150 Watts power draw.

If I were choosing, I would go with the new AX760, since the price difference is so little.

The AX760i uses a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) that has digital voltage regulation and allows you to create your own cooling fan profile along with monitoring software. This model is made by Flextronics whereas the AX750 and AX760 are made by Seasonic.
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 3:16:40 AM

Interestingly I saw that Best Buy is selling the 760 and the 860i for $199.99 each, while the 760i is $15 cheaper and the 860 non-i $10 more. Super weird.

Has anyone used Corsair's software? Given that apparently I can get the 760i for about the same price as the 760, is that a good thing? Or are they essentially indistinguishable aside from the software and an extra cable?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a c 1098 ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 5:49:09 AM

Corsair is currently refreshing their model lineup with newer more efficient models.

The AXi Series is Corsair's flagship series. If you can get the AXi version at a good price then definitely choose the AXi version.

The AX Series models are not the same internally as the AXi Series models. They both use completely different parts and different manufacturers.

Here's a review of the Corsair AX860i that will give you an idea of what the software is like:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:11:27 AM

Best answer selected by JMer806.
!