Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit
Intel Celeron M @1.40GHz
0.99GB RAM
15GB Hard Disk SSD
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Graphics

Am I really that outdated? o.O

More about : low spec

September 5, 2012 4:22:51 AM

That computer makes me want to go sit in a corner Indian style and shake back and forth while crying... yes its incredibly outdated. The processor is slow and the architecture is very outdated, the ram is very limited, the hard disk is incredibly small for most needs, and your onboard graphics probably isn't beefy enough to do much more than watch a dvd.

I also want to mention that the celeron series were always really pitiful as far as performance. You really need to get a system that has a multiple core processor, they boost system responsiveness immensely.
m
l
September 5, 2012 4:27:46 AM

Change the HDD, install linux with a lightweight DE, and you're good to go.
It'll do alright for basic usage, office documents and web surfing.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 4:31:33 AM

If you're doing not much more than one thing at a time, I think you're fine. Nobody's pretending this is a gaming PC, but it's not that awful for home use.
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:25:20 AM

AppleDell92196 said:
Is my system really that low spec?

Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit
Intel Celeron M @1.40GHz
0.99GB RAM
15GB Hard Disk SSD
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Graphics

Am I really that outdated? o.O

It really depends on your perception. What are you using it for? Are you having trouble doing the tasks you want to do? If so, yes its out dated, if not, then it's fine for your needs.

From a personal opinion though, it's so incredibly tragic, it has worse specs than my phone :??: 
m
l
a b å Intel
September 5, 2012 8:34:22 AM

You can get 15GB SSD's? I thought the minimum for even caching drives was 30GB. I shudder to think how much storage you actually have after Formatting and a Windows install.

Yep, that is quite old. As others have said, it should be fine for light office usage (Word documents, Internet browsing, etc). But anything more taxing and I wouldn't be surprised if it keeled over and burst into flames (figuratively of course).
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:32:54 PM

This is probably a stupid question but would it be any faster with Linux instead of Windows XP? Would this free up space on the hard disk?
m
l
September 5, 2012 8:36:12 PM

Well I notice that it has m, so Im assuming its a laptop, and I would guess a small one. It was designed I'd guess to take with to a coffee shop and surf the web. I bet it still does this well. but anything else its outdated.
m
l
September 5, 2012 9:16:37 PM

AppleDell92196 said:
This is probably a stupid question but would it be any faster with Linux instead of Windows XP? Would this free up space on the hard disk?

Linux would be smoother yes, it doesn't require as many resources as windows. And yes, the linux install is smaller than windows too so it would save space.
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:41:11 AM

AppleDell92196 said:

Run Linux with a light weight Desktop, something like LXDE or XFCE
You can use Lubuntu or Xubuntu, both run in under 256 MB RAM.
And yes, you'll save on install space as well, they'll neet around 5 GB space.
m
l
!