Sign in with
Your question

Could these symptoms indicate CPU failure ?

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2013 7:44:31 PM

The initial problem was that the PC powered up for no more than 2 seconds then restarted ad infinitum. I looked inside and noticed 3 capacitors on the graphics card had blown their top. I replaced the graphics card but could not get any life out of the PC. I then replaced the mobo and PSU with new ones.

Now, the symptom is that the POST display only appears 50% of the time. Also, the CPU fan takes a few seconds to start properly after an initial jolt. Also the BIOS indicates a Vcore power failure.

Into the new mobo I am plugging a new graphics card, a new PSU, a 4 year old CPU and 4 year old RAM. No other components.

I have a PSU tester that indicates all voltages are within 5% of target and the power good signal returns in 290 ms.

I've been repairing computers for a few years but never had a CPU failure before. Could it be this rather than a faulty mobo ? I don't have a spare CPU to test with :-(

Eugene.

More about : symptoms cpu failure

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 9:24:51 PM

Hi :) 

Cpu failure means NO START ...ABSOLUTELY DEAD...NOTHING...

I would guess its your motherboard...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 19, 2013 11:09:06 PM

eugeneg said:
The initial problem was that the PC powered up for no more than 2 seconds then restarted ad infinitum. I looked inside and noticed 3 capacitors on the graphics card had blown their top. I replaced the graphics card but could not get any life out of the PC. I then replaced the mobo and PSU with new ones.

Now, the symptom is that the POST display only appears 50% of the time. Also, the CPU fan takes a few seconds to start properly after an initial jolt. Also the BIOS indicates a Vcore power failure.

Into the new mobo I am plugging a new graphics card, a new PSU, a 4 year old CPU and 4 year old RAM. No other components.

I have a PSU tester that indicates all voltages are within 5% of target and the power good signal returns in 290 ms.

I've been repairing computers for a few years but never had a CPU failure before. Could it be this rather than a faulty mobo ? I don't have a spare CPU to test with :-(

Eugene.

Listen to brett. I too think its a motherboard issue.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 5:49:47 PM

Well I ordered another mobo and fitted it but the exact same problem persists. Possibly worse, out of 20 starts on only 1 occasion did I get to BIOS and that hung after the third screen. I think I have to accept that the CPU is knackered. I have a new mobo, video & PSU and have swapped out the RAM - there really is nothing left it could be.

Another puzzle is how almost all components could fail at the same time given that the PSU was connected to a UPS. I have powered off the UPS and it does alarm so I believe it to be working by which I mean delivering a clean power supply. I know the old graphics card failed as the capacitors were shot. The PSU is definitely bad and I now am pretty sure the CPU is too.

Looks like it's time for an upgrade.
m
l
January 23, 2013 5:57:56 PM

eugeneg said:
Well I ordered another mobo and fitted it but the exact same problem persists. Possibly worse, out of 20 starts on only 1 occasion did I get to BIOS and that hung after the third screen. I think I have to accept that the CPU is knackered. I have a new mobo, video & PSU and have swapped out the RAM - there really is nothing left it could be.

Another puzzle is how almost all components could fail at the same time given that the PSU was connected to a UPS. I have powered off the UPS and it does alarm so I believe it to be working by which I mean delivering a clean power supply. I know the old graphics card failed as the capacitors were shot. The PSU is definitely bad and I now am pretty sure the CPU is too.

U mean brand new computer from the sounds of it lol
i had a bad PSU as well took out my 6950 card and ud3h mobo costed me alot of money =(
any way at least you can build a new pc =)
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 7:33:01 PM

I love watching this video as it shows just how what can happen with a bad PSU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

PSUs are one of the most common items to go bad on a system and they also have the ability to damage other components. This is why I always try to get a quality PSU when I build a new system.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 7:38:17 PM

My PSU has been making strange noises for 3 months and still hasn't failed on me. PSUs can damage other components, but if you're lucky you'll just have to get a new PSU. That sucks for you though. If your budget can fit it in, I would go for a high end Seasonic PSU like the X650.
m
l
August 14, 2013 2:58:09 AM

eugeneg said:

m
l
August 14, 2013 3:03:13 AM

Hi Eugeneg: Seems as if I may be following in your footsteps: I found my system (GA-Z68XP-UD4, I2600K) going through repetitive power on attempts after it had been working normally. Like yours, it's connected through a UPS which showed no problem history. I suspected the M/B but the replacement suffers the same problem PSU checks out.

So, my question is: Did you solve your problem by replacing the CPU?
If not, what did you end up doing?

Thx...
m
l
August 14, 2013 3:19:18 AM

I retained the case. After replacing all other components I found the problem went away.
So I am sure that the case was not responsible :-) I reckon the CPU was bad as well as the majority of other components and I can only assume the PSU was responsible despite being fed a cleaned up supply from the UPS (which I still no more than assume is really cleaning up the supply).
I'm sorry for your loss.
m
l
August 14, 2013 3:45:06 AM

If only I had the necessary $$$s for the big bang... ;-)
I've just ordered a new I3770K (I wanted one anyway...)
I'll update again as things develop...

As for my loss, I read another thread where the OP started reporting that his cat was sick, then off to the vet, then off the planet... :-( Not sure whether someone should have chipped him/her for going off-topic... :-)

Update 2013-08-19: Back in action after installing the 3770K.
Looks as if the old GA-Z68XP-UD4 M/B was innocent; I'll apologise and RMA the 2600K. I'd still like to know why neither M/B reported a CPU error...
m
l
November 28, 2013 6:07:55 PM

Final update from DrivingAnalytical:

I received a replacement CPU (I2600K); the Z68XP mobo is now working just fine.
m
l
!