Memory leak prob.

G

This is a really weird problem. Whenever I boot up my computer, the system is using up about 65MB of RAM. Then I will load a program, say Quake 3. After I quit, I look at my RAM usage and see that it's up to 126MB or so and it wont come back down. I look at the process that im running and nothing there is taking up that much RAM. It's just gone. After a while of having my computer on, my memory usage will be so high that my computer will crawl. The only way I know of right now to clear the RAM usage back to normal is to restart. It first I thought I had bad RAM. So I bought some crucial RAM and it still does the same thing. Then I heard that it could be a virus. I did a virus scan and that didnt help. So I am asking you guys for your help. What would do this and how do I fix it?
My specs are:
Win2k pro
p3 1ghz
512 MB RAM

If you need anything else just ask.
Thanks in advance

-Hubo

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
U sure Win2K is your OS, I mean the mem leak problems were really big in the DOS based, but never heard of it in win2k. Have u disabled anything specific?

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac

G

Yes Im sure im running win2k pro. No I havent done anything out of the ordinary, it just started to happen.

G

I already have service pack 2 installed. A friend of mine told me as a last resort I could reinstall windows. I was just wondering if I could do something else and fix it.