Microstuttering in Crossfire

Gumbo612

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hey, everyone , i recently posted about possibly going out and buying another 6850 to run in crossfire mode. I've read that its performance would equal the GTX 580 which made me excited. But then i read that people have this microstuttering issue in games when xfire is enabled. I just wanted to clarify this issue, and how relevant is it today? Thank you.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Not really. Microstuttering in itself can be bothersome to some people, and others not at all. While it might be bit complicated, considered the 6800 series cards only has 1 CrossFire connection, having a 3-way crossfire set up nearly eliminates micro-stuttering.

...The performance of three- and four-way CrossFire setups not only surprised us, but also managed to utterly convince us that micro-stuttering doesn't have to affect your multi-GPU configuration. For some reason, the third GPU almost always eliminates micro stuttering and has a less-pronounced effect on performance...
If AMD considered putting two CrossFire connectors on its Radeon HD 6870, along with adding some more memory, a trio of them would absolutely be a price/performance leader with minimal micro-stuttering.
More reading here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html