First time semi-serious build, need advice.

I am building my first PC. The only video games that I would be playing on this system would be WoW, CSGO, and other games that don't require crazy specs. However, I need a lot of storage, and want to continue sound/video editing on this system. I am only willing to spend upwards to 600 dollars. Here is what I have so far:

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

POWER SUPPLY: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply

MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

CASE: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan

VIDEO CARD: I already have one that I am going to use for this build; as well as a sound card.


ANY insight into this build, a better build, or simply ways to eradicate items--or downgrade them in order to cut costs would be great. Thank you anyone for your time!!
6 answers Last reply
More about first time semi serious build advice
  1. Get the 'k' processor only if you plan to overclock. Otherwise get the normal one, it'll save you some money.
    Use a Z77 motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H is a good option.
    Since you do video editing, you can change the HDD to a WD Caviar Black.
  2. Raidmax power supplies are absolute junk, and there's no reason to pair a 3570K with a Z68 motherboard as you lose a lot of functionality.
  3. g-unit1111 said:
    Raidmax power supplies are absolute junk, and there's no reason to pair a 3570K with a Z68 motherboard as you lose a lot of functionality.



    thanks for the reply. what power supplies would you recommend? also, what should i pair a 3570k with?


    thanks in advance.
  4. proton007 said:
    Get the 'k' processor only if you plan to overclock. Otherwise get the normal one, it'll save you some money.
    Use a Z77 motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H is a good option.
    Since you do video editing, you can change the HDD to a WD Caviar Black.


    figured i would respond back on the original thread haha...

    so i'll switch out the hard drive, and as far as a processor/motherboard combo, what would you suggest?

    i appreciate it
  5. If you don't plan to overclock, or need a lot of PCI slots, go for GA-Z77-DS3H with i5-3550.
    This saves you ~15 on the CPU --> it'll offset the extra for your WD HDD
    Saves ~20 on the mobo --> you can change your PSU to a Rosewill CAPSTONE-450. Much better.
    Should be in the same budget.
  6. majinbu said:
    thanks for the reply. what power supplies would you recommend? also, what should i pair a 3570k with?


    thanks in advance.


    That depends on what video card you have - you're probably looking at a 600W - something from Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic.

    And then you should always pair a 3570K with Z77 - you get HD4000 video (not that you'll really use it), PCI Gen 3, etc, etc.

    If you post your budget I can suggest a system.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems