EVGA FTW 670 or Gigabyte Windforce 670?

syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
670 and 680 support has just been found in OS X Mountain lion so thats great news for my hackintosh :) Which card should i get for best performance, cooling, and noise? Im not really interesting the ASUS one because its been getting awful reviews lately over at newegg. thanks guys! :)

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
They are equal contenders in terms of performance. The Gigabyte will have better cooling but it exhausts air inside the case so you need to make sure you have good airflow. In terms of noise, they both can whine but GB does not require extreme fan speeds.

Since I am fortunate to live near a MicroCenter, I bought a FTW and returned it for the GB and do not regret it one bit.

You can argue for either one all day long, but you gotta commit at some point.

syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
What made you return it? I have an Antec 900 case so i think my air flow is good enough. I just CANNOT stand the noise i get from my XFX 6870 (single fan). Even when watching a simple youtube video, i can hear my fans kick up.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
My asus card has zero problems. Most of the issues that they complain are about the poor software in GPU tweak that came with it. Just good to have some context behind many people who complain on reviews. The card is dead silent over my case fans even pushing close to 100%.

On the choices you are deciding I would go with the FTW card since EVGA's customer service is awesome. If I were to do it all over again I would've gotten the FTW since, even with 6 case fans, the hot air being dumped by my ASUS card really causes a noticeable CPU temp raise which I am not particularly fond of.

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

A lot of factors besides the # of fans will influence CPU temps. That is one thing that should be considered when choosing a GPU.

I have a 3570K clocked at 4.0GHz with a Hyper 212+ in a HAF 912 case. CPU temps have never gone above 60°C and GPU temps ~63° under load (BF3 on Ultra, 3DMark 11, Unigine Heaven, etc all @1920x1080).

Noise has never been a concern of mine. When my fans get loud it means I am gaming for which I use over-the-ear headphones.

If you don't have a setup that is capable of keeping things cool to your liking, go for the FTW or any other 670 with a stock cooler. Basically any 670 will be great, it's all a matter of personal preference.

syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Does your gigabyte make your entire system hotter? i believe i have a pretty good cooling system but am still unsure. I'm thinking about just going gigabyte because i love when my system is quite

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

It vents air inside the case so it certainly can, but when I got my 670 I also got a new mobo which allowed me to connect more fans and have control over the speed, and 3570K which runs cooler at idle than Sandy Bridge. So I guess you could say I unintentionally/inadvertently compensated for the increase in heat generated by the 670.

And really I am a bit OCD about my temps so I don't like the GPU or CPU to go above ~65°, but the CPU is rated for much higher temps.

syngatesfan200

Honorable
May 14, 2012
yeah i know how you feel. If i may ask, what case do you have? i have a total of 6 fans in my case and my system is silent without my card. I think my air flow is pretty good now that i think about it :) I think gigabyte is my choice. So thank you :)

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Look 4 posts above this one.