Hey,

My Current Setup:

i7 870 @4GHz (1.3v) Watercooled with Corsair H60
HIS Radeon HD 5850
2x Kingston HyperX 128gb SSDs in RAID 0
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R Rev 2.0
16GB G.Skill RipjawsX @ 1600mHz
Corsair Gamers Series 600W Power Supply

I helped a (very rich) friend upgrade his computer (he has no idea and has no intention of learning) from a 5850 (what a coincidence) to two 7970's. My payment was a XFX 5850 Black Edition. Right now it's sitting on my desk as an expensive paperweight? I have a Crossfire bridge and 2 dual molex to 6-pi PCIE adapters so i'm all set, but before i put it in and burn the house down, would I be able to run a 5850 CrossfireX with 49A on a single 12V rail with my current setup. Also, if so, would it be safer to return my CPU to stock to be on the safe side (I'm sure another 5850 is more of an upgrade than a 1GHz overclock).

I currently can't upgrade my PSU just yet because I'm 15 and on a tight McDonald's pay budget, but I'm open to suggestions.

Solution
For a system using two AMD reference design Radeon HD 5850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous...

Hi - realhardtechX suggests 600w for a 5850CF system, so you are OK on that front.
The problem you have however, is that the GS600 has only 2 PCI-E connectors and
you need 4 for the 2 cards. You could get a couple molex to pci-e adapters and
solve that issue. A lot of posters here don't recommend that solution, but you
have sufficient watts & +12v amps (49) so I think it's a good solution.

Tom

For a system using two AMD reference design Radeon HD 5850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The Corsair GS Series GS600 (SKU# 75-001181 /CP-9020012), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 49 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is electrically sufficient to power your system configuration with two AMD reference design Radeon HD 5850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode but is deficient by two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Solution

DestroyRX

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

But the Dual-Molex to 6-Pin PCIE adapters that came with the cards are good for use, right?