Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does this sound like a dead PSU to you?

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2013 8:48:55 PM

OK. so Iv'e got the computer all put together I power it on the screen quickly goes tells me to select a boot drive or something like that. I test the ctrl + alt + del the reset it and that works. I'm not ready to start installing OS though because I realize I forgot the optical drive.

So I unplug the PSU move the computer and get the optical drive in there. I go back plug everthing in and press the power button. Nothing. No fans spin no noises nothing. I turn the PSU on and off and hear a faint clicking sound. I had made a quiet but audible whirr when I first was using it. I'm pretty convinced that the PSU is faulty but I suppose I could have done something.

I may have pulled its cord before turning it off, would that damage it? It seems unlikly but I don't know. Its a corsair builder 500W btw. Should I return the product and get a new PSU or does anyone have some suggestions for something I might have screwed up and be able to fix?

More about : sound dead psu

a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 8:59:05 PM

You didn't mention it, but did you disconnect the optical drive?
m
l
January 19, 2013 9:05:51 PM

GhislainG said:
You didn't mention it, but did you disconnect the optical drive?

Yeah I figured maybe the optical drive somehow caused it and disconnected it from both the PSU and the MOBO, it didn't make a difference. Either I did something that caused this problem between the time I booted the computer and then booted it again with the opitcal drive, or the PSU was barely alive on arrival.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 9:34:34 PM

What model and make is the psu?
Your sure you didn't turn off the psu with the switch?
Your sure the 24 pin and 4 pin are connected to the mb and memory is properly seated?
January 19, 2013 10:01:42 PM

jnkweaver said:
What model and make is the psu?
Your sure you didn't turn off the psu with the switch?
Your sure the 24 pin and 4 pin are connected to the mb and memory is properly seated?

its a corsair builder 500W
I already made the not having the four pin CPU power attached mistake.
When I press the power button nothing happens. I mean nothing at all. No fans spin no noises get made not a sign of life. I'm not under the impression misplaced RAM can cause that type of response, but I'll double check anyway. I'll also make sure the 24 pin didn't come loose.
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:12:17 PM

Yeah, definitely check all connections and that the psu switch is in the on position. You can pull out the power supply and test it manually with a paper clip. Bend the clip in a U shape and put one end in the green on one side to a black one. You can google pics of it to help. That will jump the power supply and it should turn on. If it doesn't, it is toast.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2013 10:13:46 PM

Are you sure you connected the front connectors to the correct pins?
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:19:39 PM

well... you got me. The 24 pin was loose. I must have bumped it when I was putting in the optical drive or something. I guess after a few hours working on this I just got impatient and when straight to asking for help on the internet without checking the obvious. Still I'd rather look foolish on the internet than have to replace a faulty part. Thx for the help.
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:20:56 PM

Best answer selected by new accountiz.
m
l
!