XP-Home: Delay when accessing "Programs" menu

Hi all,

Recently I experience a few seconds delay when opening "Start"
"Programs" before the programs listed in the Programs menu appear.

This usually occurs for the first few times the menu is used during the
day and then clears up for a time.

Could I have, inadvertently perhaps, disabled caching of this menu
somewhere?

XP Home SP1, Intel 2.6 ghz, on Intel MB

TIA

Simon
13 answers Last reply
More about home delay accessing programs menu

    Simon,
    Best practices dictate dumping your IE temp files, clear cookies,
    history, ect. within IE, then run disk clean-up, and defrag hard
    drive.
    I don't think the Start/Programs are cached as in temp files.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:03:09 -0500, Treeman had said ...

    > Simon,
    > Best practices dictate dumping your IE temp files, clear cookies,
    > history, ect. within IE, then run disk clean-up, and defrag hard
    > drive.
    > I don't think the Start/Programs are cached as in temp files.
    > Best,
    > Treeman

    Thanks for the hint. I rarely use IE so temps files/cookies/history were
    minimal. Disk Clean-up did clear some junk. Time will tell if this
    helped or hindered.

    At the moment the menu appears instantly and was before the clean-up.
    After the next re-boot we will see if the behaviour has changed.

    Simon.

    Change the Speed of the Start Menu

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK

    Navigate to >>>
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \
    Value Name: MenuShowDelay
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 400
    (0 is the fastest, 400 is default. These are all in milliseconds).

    Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

    Or use TweakUI...

    TweakUI
    [+] Mouse

    [[The Menu Speed slider control sets the speed at which cascading menus
    automatically open when you move the mouse over them. The fastest setting
    causes them to open immediately and the slowest setting is extraordinary
    slow.]]
    ----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:MPG.1d4d83985f32a001989683@news.microsoft.com,
    JS <me@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:03:09 -0500, Treeman had said ...
    >

    >> Simon,
    >> Best practices dictate dumping your IE temp files, clear cookies,
    >> history, ect. within IE, then run disk clean-up, and defrag hard
    >> drive.
    >> I don't think the Start/Programs are cached as in temp files.
    >> Best,
    >> Treeman
    >
    > Thanks for the hint. I rarely use IE so temps files/cookies/history were
    > minimal. Disk Clean-up did clear some junk. Time will tell if this
    > helped or hindered.
    >
    > At the moment the menu appears instantly and was before the clean-up.
    > After the next re-boot we will see if the behaviour has changed.
    >
    > Simon.

    Bulshevik!