XP-Home: Delay when accessing "Programs" menu

July 24, 2005 1:40:16 PM

Hi all,

Recently I experience a few seconds delay when opening "Start"
"Programs" before the programs listed in the Programs menu appear.

This usually occurs for the first few times the menu is used during the
day and then clears up for a time.

Could I have, inadvertently perhaps, disabled caching of this menu
somewhere?

XP Home SP1, Intel 2.6 ghz, on Intel MB

TIA

Simon
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:03:09 PM

Simon,
Best practices dictate dumping your IE temp files, clear cookies,
history, ect. within IE, then run disk clean-up, and defrag hard
drive.
I don't think the Start/Programs are cached as in temp files.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

July 24, 2005 3:53:47 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:03:09 -0500, Treeman had said ...

> Simon,
> Best practices dictate dumping your IE temp files, clear cookies,
> history, ect. within IE, then run disk clean-up, and defrag hard
> drive.
> I don't think the Start/Programs are cached as in temp files.
> Best,
> Treeman

Thanks for the hint. I rarely use IE so temps files/cookies/history were
minimal. Disk Clean-up did clear some junk. Time will tell if this
helped or hindered.

At the moment the menu appears instantly and was before the clean-up.
After the next re-boot we will see if the behaviour has changed.

Simon.
July 24, 2005 9:07:06 PM

Change the Speed of the Start Menu

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK

Navigate to >>>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \
Value Name: MenuShowDelay
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 400
(0 is the fastest, 400 is default. These are all in milliseconds).

Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

Or use TweakUI...

TweakUI
[+] Mouse

[[The Menu Speed slider control sets the speed at which cascading menus
automatically open when you move the mouse over them. The fastest setting
causes them to open immediately and the slowest setting is extraordinary
slow.]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
===

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:MPG.1d4d83985f32a001989683@news.microsoft.com,
JS <me@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:03:09 -0500, Treeman had said ...
>

>> Simon,
>> Best practices dictate dumping your IE temp files, clear cookies,
>> history, ect. within IE, then run disk clean-up, and defrag hard
>> drive.
>> I don't think the Start/Programs are cached as in temp files.
>> Best,
>> Treeman
>
> Thanks for the hint. I rarely use IE so temps files/cookies/history were
> minimal. Disk Clean-up did clear some junk. Time will tell if this
> helped or hindered.
>
> At the moment the menu appears instantly and was before the clean-up.
> After the next re-boot we will see if the behaviour has changed.
>
> Simon.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 10:01:55 PM

Bulshevik!