Sign in with
Your question

I think I damaged my GPU (HD 7950)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2012 1:23:04 AM

I was trying to overclock my XFX 7950 DD (not black edition) using only CCC's AMD Overdrive and stress testing with MSI Kombustor's GPU burn in.

First I raised the core clock to 1000 (from 800 default) and memory clock to 1575 (from 1250 default) and increased the power control to 20%. It immediately resulted in system freeze when I tried to run Kombustor's GPU burn in.
So I rebooted and lowered the core clock to 950. Freeze again.
Finally, I got it to run Kombustor at 925 core clock. But after about 4-5 minutes of Kombustor GPU burn-in, my system froze again.
Upon reboot, I noticed something is not right with my GPU's VDDC at stock settings.

Before, the VDDC current at stock settings while running Kombustor's GPU burn in was around 115A according to GPU-Z.

Now, the vddc current at stock settings while running Kombustor's GPU burn in is around 80A according to GPU-Z. It's also fluctuating a lot. Jumping up and down from 70 to high 80s. The VDDC current-in is also fluctuating a lot. For a split second, I see it dropping to 0A and going up as high as 16A.
Here's a screenshot of GPU-Z while running Kombustor gpu burn in. http://i.imgur.com/syEUd.jpg

Could I have damaged my GPU's VRM or something?

More about : damaged gpu 7950

a c 1307 U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 1:42:51 AM

First rule of overclocking, do it in smallest steps possible! Especially electric control. It is possible that you fried it.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 1:54:54 AM

yup you have done it the wrong way around.

you start up small and work your way up. that way as soon as it gets a little unstable you know your getting close to the edge.

Very possible that you have fried the card by going to high right off the bat. Return your card to its factory settings and see how it goes, if its still unstable there then i hope you enjoy your $300 paperweight.
Related resources
July 18, 2012 2:11:51 AM

Well yea, but I pretty much all the guides I've read said that it's safe to increase the power to 20% in AMD Overdrive because it doesn't really change the voltage.

I just tried running Kombustor gpu burn in again using 925 core clock and 1575 memory clock. The vddc current seems to hit only around 120A. The max FPS is also lower by about 10.
I know for sure that the vddc current at the same overclocked settings was 130A before.
So what exactly could be damaged on my GPU?

The games and windows desktop seem to run fine but all the games I've tested do not make the GPU draw more than 70A vddc current.
July 18, 2012 2:12:54 AM

yeah, never rise is like that. i'm running 1000/1575 with a volt jump to 1137mV on the exact 7950.
July 18, 2012 2:16:22 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Return your card to its factory settings and see how it goes, if its still unstable there then i hope you enjoy your $300 paperweight.

As for stability, it seems stable at factory settings. Just that the VDDC current is lower than before, while running the same stress test. FPS seems to be a lower also.

It won't be paperweight because I can still return it to where I bought it and get a replacement.
I am just trying to get a confirmation before I do that.
July 18, 2012 2:21:28 AM

zakattak80 said:
yeah, never rise is like that. i'm running 1000/1575 with a volt jump to 1137mV on the exact 7950.

I didn't use MSI Afterburner to change the voltage.
All I did was increase the power control to 20% in CCC AMD Overdrive. The volt stayed at 1.090V. I obviously didn't overvolt because the card wasn't even stable at 950 coreclock.

Can you do me a huge favor?
What's your VDDC current when running Kombustor GPU burn in test(Direct 3D 11), not the benchmark option, at stock settings?
July 18, 2012 3:51:35 AM

theonix said:
I didn't use MSI Afterburner to change the voltage.
All I did was increase the power control to 20% in CCC AMD Overdrive. The volt stayed at 1.090V. I obviously didn't overvolt because the card wasn't even stable at 950 coreclock.

Can you do me a huge favor?
What's your VDDC current when running Kombustor GPU burn in test(Direct 3D 11), not the benchmark option, at stock settings?

my VDDC current fluctuates between 70 and 75, while at default settings, and my FPS are at 147 AVG. at my 1000/1575 im at 65 to up to 135 for reference. remember i'm at 1137 MV.
July 18, 2012 4:32:50 AM

zakattak80 said:
my VDDC current fluctuates between 70 and 75, while at default settings, and my FPS are at 147 AVG. at my 1000/1575 im at 65 to up to 135 for reference. remember i'm at 1137 MV.

Thanks a lot!

Your results seem very similar to mine so now I am even more confused.

At default clock settings and voltage, I am getting 80 to 85 for VDDC Current, with average FPS at 148.

At 1000/1575 and 1137 mV, I got 120~ VDDC Current and average FPS of 148(same as stock clock??).

I think what's clear now is that my GPU is no longer able to draw 130 or higher amps for VDDC current. It was able to draw 130A before.
Did you change the Power Limit % setting in Afterburner?
July 18, 2012 4:41:37 AM

theonix said:
Thanks a lot!

Your results seem very similar to mine so now I am even more confused.

At default clock settings and voltage, I am getting 80 to 85 for VDDC Current, with average FPS at 148.

At 1000/1575 and 1137 mV, I got 120~ VDDC Current and average FPS of 148(same as stock clock??).

I think what's clear now is that my GPU is no longer able to draw 130 or higher amps for VDDC current. It was able to draw 130A before.
Did you change the Power Limit % setting in Afterburner?

yes i do have the powerlimit a +20% and i noticed through afterburner it still was downclocking as low as 800. i should have mention this before, but i to had the freezing screen, and after 10 seconds or so it would recover and the game would continue as normal. so i don't think you damaged the card, you just hit it's threshold at the Voltage level.

have to be honest our card look awesome with the brush metal and red band to the side, but when it comes to cooling and overclocking the Sapphire and Asus models do much better.
July 18, 2012 5:56:32 AM

zakattak80 said:
yes i do have the powerlimit a +20% and i noticed through afterburner it still was downclocking as low as 800. i should have mention this before, but i to had the freezing screen, and after 10 seconds or so it would recover and the game would continue as normal. so i don't think you damaged the card, you just hit it's threshold at the Voltage level.

have to be honest our card look awesome with the brush metal and red band to the side, but when it comes to cooling and overclocking the Sapphire and Asus models do much better.

Yep. At 1000/1575 and 1137 mV, my card passed the Ungine Heaven benchmark but the driver crashed about 2 minutes into Kombustor's burn-in test. Even after closing the burn-in test, the driver continued to crash in Windows desktop. I had to reboot the computer because the driver kept crashing every 10 seconds.

So does anyone have any idea why my GPU can no longer pull 130A for vddc current? Is something physically damaged on my GPU?
!