Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NVIDIA HDMI audio not working Win 7. Worked on Ubuntu

Last response: in Components
Share
January 19, 2013 10:56:40 PM

Athlon 64 3400+
Geforce gt210 PCIE
2gb RAM

I had Ubuntu 12.04 installed on this machine as an XBMC HTPC using the HDMI video and audio with the Geforce 210 until yesterday. I had a Win 7 license to use so I planned to rebuild the machine to do the same tasks with Win 7 then I could use Hulu and Netflix also.

Both the audio and video over HDMI had been working for several months on Ubuntu but I just cannot get the audio to work with Win 7. Video is working fine over HDMI. The 210 has onboard audio processing so I do not need any other cables. I am fairly technical and just cannot see why it will not work.

I have the latest Nvidia driver 310.90 for that card installed. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver several times. You can see in the images of the device manager that it sees my onboard Realtek sound card (which I have tried disabling in BIOS with no luck on HDMI audio) and the Geforce 210. There are no devices with warnings like it is missing drivers for the HDMI audio.

The Nvidia control panel detects my Samsung TV but when I open the audio properties I only see the Realtek device or nothing if I have the onboard audio disabled in BIOS.

There were no hardware changes at all. I literally just installed Win 7 over Ubuntu and now HDMI audio does not work. I thought Win 7 would be easier to setup than Ubuntu :p 

Screenshots on Imgur
  1. <a href="http://imgur.com/a/k7wkX#0" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/k7wkX#0</a>
January 20, 2013 12:16:11 AM

if you did all your driver updates go to windows update. then get back to thread.
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 12:17:20 AM

swifty_morgan said:
if you did all your driver updates go to windows update. then get back to thread.


Sorry forgot to add that. All Windows updates are installed
m
0
l
Related resources
January 20, 2013 12:50:25 AM

open the device manager and see if you can update anything. ( sound related )
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 1:00:14 AM

swifty_morgan said:
open the device manager and see if you can update anything. ( sound related )


Nothing in device manager that needs attention nor do I see anything at all related to Nvidia audio/hdmi
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 1:14:32 AM

did the HDMI drivers load when you installed the nvidia drivers?
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 1:19:50 AM

swifty_morgan said:
did the HDMI drivers load when you installed the nvidia drivers?


No not as far as I can tell. The only options during geforce driver install were graphics, 2x 3d vision, nvidia update, and physx. Weird thing is that device manager does not act like anything is missing drivers. I tried downloading just nvidia hdmi drivers but they were all from 2009 or older and said it found no supported hardware, seemed to be for 8xxx series and older. As far as I can tell the drivers should be installed with the Geforce driver.
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 1:50:59 AM

the 310 nvidia drivers you installed should have also loaded the sound driver while installing. uninstall and reinstall. open the driver package by selecting "custom or advanced (or whatever) install and you should be able to see what's there. make sure the box next to it is check-marked.
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 1:52:55 AM

swifty_morgan said:
the 310 nvidia drivers you installed should have also loaded the sound driver while installing. uninstall and reinstall. open the driver package by selecting "custom or advanced (or whatever) install and you should be able to see what's there. make sure the box next to it is check-marked.


Done and when I reinstall there is no box to install audio drivers just the others I listed
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 11:43:46 AM

swifty_morgan said:
guess I'm lost. thought it would be there.

try this
http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/...


Thanks but that it what I referenced before, those are the HDMI drivers from 2009ish I believe designed for 8xxx and lower when Nvidia first released HDMI on cards. Try to install that and it says no compatible hardware.
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 11:54:09 AM

I can't pull the download apart right now but there has to be an HDMI driver in that update.

or there is something you are missing.

uninstall the nvidia drivers. open up and remove nvidia entries from the registry. (only if you feel comfortable doing that)

reboot and try again.

if there isn't something inre to the hdmi in the control panel/sound something isn't right.

or perhaps the machine is too old ( motherbaord) to accept that driver...???

try updating the mobo BIOS.

what is all the information on the hardware/software?
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 5:10:39 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I can't pull the download apart right now but there has to be an HDMI driver in that update.

or there is something you are missing.

uninstall the nvidia drivers. open up and remove nvidia entries from the registry. (only if you feel comfortable doing that)

reboot and try again.

if there isn't something inre to the hdmi in the control panel/sound something isn't right.

or perhaps the machine is too old ( motherbaord) to accept that driver...???

try updating the mobo BIOS.

what is all the information on the hardware/software?


Tried uninstalling and removing all nvidia references in registry.

There is a folder called HDAudio in both that package and the 310.90 after they extract. I can right click the INF file and tell it to install but it says it does not support that method.

I just reinstalled Windows completely since I had nothing else configured yet and tried again but I get the same problem so I am tired of fighting it and restoring my Ubuntu since it worked with any effort. Thanks for your help.
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 7:49:52 PM

I have never, ever, ever, never ran a cross a problem like this, never. too bad you're giving up. would be something new to learn.

has to be a logical answer.

all hardware/software?
m
0
l
January 20, 2013 8:19:10 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I have never, ever, ever, never ran a cross a problem like this, never. too bad you're giving up. would be something new to learn.

has to be a logical answer.

all hardware/software?


Apparently no one else has either :)  I tried all my Google-fu to find an answer but the only people with similar issues never have a resolution either.

I had been working on it for 4 days with no forward progress so I had to throw in the towel to get my htpc back. I have since reinstall Xbuntu and everything is working perfectly, just needed to install one driver package and turn up volume for HDMI. No hardware changes between installs. It has blown me away that it works so easily there but cannot get it going on Win 7 where I thought the support/experience would be must more streamlined. Oh well.

Strangest thing is that Windows does not appear to detect hdmi audio on the card at all. It was Win 7 32bit home premium which I would guess supports HDMI audio. It never asks for drivers for it nor does any audio device show up in the device manager or playback devices for hdmi even after the clean install of Win 7.

Tried with and without my realtek onboard audio disabled in bios with same result. Nothing in Realtek audio manager about hdmi. Nvidia control panel sees the TV is connected over HDMI and video has always worked fine.

I always considered it had something to do with the motherboard because it is an old emachines from 7-8 years ago but there are no BIOS updates for it. Has PCIE 1.0 port so I was happy the card worked but since it works with Ubuntu I can't imagine it being a hardware/motherboard/bios issue.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:30:37 AM

The 200 series has pass through capability, but no internal audio processor. You have to connect the SPDIF header on the GPU to the SPDIF header on the motherboard, and have the Realtek audio drivers installed.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 5:54:43 AM

that's something I never would have thought of.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:20:03 PM

gamerk316 said:
The 200 series has pass through capability, but no internal audio processor. You have to connect the SPDIF header on the GPU to the SPDIF header on the motherboard, and have the Realtek audio drivers installed.


  1. <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series</a>

Nvidia officially announced and released the retail version of the previously OEM only GeForce 210 (GT218 GPU) and GeForce GT 220 (GT216 GPU) on October 12, 2009. Nvidia officially announced and released the GeForce GT 240 (GT215 GPU) on November 17, 2009. The new 40nm GPUs feature the new PureVideo HD VP4 decoder hardware in them, the older GeForce 8 and 9 GPUs only have PureVideo HD VP2 or VP3(G98). They also support Compute Capability 1.2, whereas older GeForce 8 and 9 GPUs only supported Compute Capability 1.1. All GT21x GPUs also contain an audio processor inside and support 8 channel LPCM output through HDMI.

You are right that most 200 series do not have internal audio but the gt2xx does. My GTX 260 in my desktop does not have internal audio, I must connect the SPDIF header if I want audio over HDMI with that but my gt210 does. Besides the fact that it works in Ubuntu with no hardware changes.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 5:52:36 PM

One final thing I can think of: are you doing direct HDMI out, or going through a DVI to HDMI converter? NVIDIA is picky about the converter (I know they disable the function if the converter is from AMD...)
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 6:10:11 PM

gamerk316 said:
One final thing I can think of: are you doing direct HDMI out, or going through a DVI to HDMI converter? NVIDIA is picky about the converter (I know they disable the function if the converter is from AMD...)


Direct. The card has a hdmi port with a 6ft cable to tv
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 1:30:59 PM

SOLVED

Borrowed a newer motherboard from a friend and installed Windows 7 and it detected the HDMI audio right away. I still had to install the NVIDIA drivers otherwise it showed up as Microsoft driver.

Must have been the old motherboard. Was a AMD 480m and newer one was a LGA 775 socket core 2 not sure of the model. Neither was PCIE 2.0+ though which I thought would be the problem of my old motherboard being PCIE 1.x

Weirdest thing is it worked fine in Ubuntu but not Win 7
m
0
l
!