Upgrade to i7 let down

illus55

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Recently upgraded from an AMD Deneb Quad 945 (Asus mobo + 8gig ram) to an Intel i7 3770k (gigabyte ud5h + 16 gig ram) for a video editing rig. Re purposed 3 WD Black 640GB drives.

Don't have alot left over for SSD and a new video card, but sheesh ... I'm wondering if that's what should have shelled out the cash for instead! I'm really not seeing any major improvements in performance in Premiere and After Effects. Yes, so I'm wondering if my cash would have been a little better spent downgrading to i5 and a cheaper mobo... and spending the extra upgrading video card and hd/ssd. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Primarily working with DSLR 1080 footage -- doubt I'll ever edit 4k on this...

twelve25

Distinguished
Are you using video card acceleration? If so, it was offloading much of the work from the CPU to the GPU anyway. So the CPU probably wasn't the bottleneck. For pure CPU-based encoding, i7 should be about twice as fast as a Phenom 945.

illus55

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hmm, yes thinking of taking everything back and getting a cheaper cpu/mobo and upgrading video card. right now is old ATI Raedon 4650 HD. and get SSD. looks like read/write is the big deal in premiere. when loading a project it takes about the same time and the cpu is at like 2% which leads me to believe its the old hDs i have...

Yes its much better to get some nice SSDs. The intel i7 hype is really too much. The i5 should perform exactly like the i7 except for extremely long computations, and in those you save 10% of the time.

A better graphics card would have been a better choice than the i7 imo. Hardware acceleration has come a long way and its getting better in the long run.

twelve25

Distinguished

well you aren't getting any GPU boost from the 4650! But if you are complaining about project loading times, that is pure I/O from the HDD. SSD or a RAID 0 set is going to help that.

How about rendering a project to a video file, that should be noticeably faster.