.Net altered my logon

I have installed .Net and it altered the way I logon.

Before, I didn't have to enter passwords or go thru a "click the user"
screen. The computer just booted all the way to my desktop without any
intermediate steps.

Now I have to select a user at an intermediate step. I'm the only user
and am not on a network.

How can I switch back to the pre-.Net logon method? I know it can be
done, I just don't remember how. Any help appreciated.

Norm

For an "NT"ish operating system you can run regedit.exe and navigate to;
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
edit the Reg_Sz string values
"DefaultUserName"
and
"DefaultPassword"
to reflect the correct username and password. (note: the password for an
autologon account can not be blank) and set the value of "AutoAdminLogon" to
"1"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

In news:%23aymXQHkFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
NoMoreMrNiceGuy <pocobuenoguyREMOVE@yahoo.com> typed:

> I have installed .Net and it altered the way I logon.

Not exactly. What it did was add another user. Since you now have
two, it asks you which you want to logon as. See below to logon
automatically.

> Before, I didn't have to enter passwords or go thru a "click
> the user"
> screen. The computer just booted all the way to my desktop
> without
> any intermediate steps.
>
> Now I have to select a user at an intermediate step. I'm the
> only
> user and am not on a network.
>
> How can I switch back to the pre-.Net logon method? I know it
> can be
> done, I just don't remember how. Any help appreciated.

Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Select the account you
want to logon to automatically. Then uncheck the box "Users must
enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Or do the same thing with TweakUI.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Dave Patrick wrote:
> For an "NT"ish operating system you can run regedit.exe and navigate to;
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> edit the Reg_Sz string values
> "DefaultUserName"
> and
> "DefaultPassword"
> to reflect the correct username and password. (note: the password for an
> autologon account can not be blank) and set the value of "AutoAdminLogon" to
> "1"

Dave, your answer is "spot on"! Much appreciated. While waiting the
few minutes for your ultrafast reply I found another method (for those
folks with regedit-phobia). I've copied it below. Note, it is from a

1) Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

2) Highlight the user you want automatically logged on

3) Uncheck Users must enter a username...............

4) Click Apply.

5) In the next dialog enter the password for the account you chose in
step 2 (if any).

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security

Thanks Dave, and Doug.

Norm

You're welcome.

--

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:21:19 -0500, NoMoreMrNiceGuy wrote:

> I have installed .Net and it altered the way I logon.
>
> Before, I didn't have to enter passwords or go thru a "click the user"
> screen. The computer just booted all the way to my desktop without any
> intermediate steps.
>
> Now I have to select a user at an intermediate step. I'm the only user
> and am not on a network.
>
> How can I switch back to the pre-.Net logon method? I know it can be
> done, I just don't remember how. Any help appreciated.
>
> Norm

Have you finished updating yet? Recently rebuilt my XP system and after the
service pack for .net or after the patch for the .net service pack, I
noticed that the autologon returned.

If you are still stuck at the welcome screen after completing updates, use
Start> Run and type in control userpasswords2
Click to highlight your account from the list in the window that appears.
Click to remove the check at the top of that same screen that users are
required to input username/password to logon.
Another window will appear. Check that the name of your user account is
shown here. Then enter the password info. If you use no password, leave the
boxes blank. OK your way back to the desktop.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

They have the same effect. Both add AutoAdminLogon.