Sign in with
Your question

My CPU light is on and no display

Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2013 12:38:50 AM

My CPU light is on and I am not getting any DVI signal. I recently installed a new heatsink (Seidon 120mm Cooler Master liquid.) The thing is is that I've been able to play, get in game, launch, boot, etc... But today when I started it up it would just run fans and seem fine but give no display and have the CPU light on. I've checked connections (both 24pin and 8) as well as reseated RAM, GPU, and re-screwed the heatsink.

Something potentially related is the fact that both times I've tried to go to 'sleep' my computer crashes (BSOD). This has just started recently. I have also had other problems related to the new heatsink, (similar boot issues).

Specs:

i5 2500k
Asus p8z68-v
GTX 570
16 GB (4x4) Corsair Vengence

Thanks in advance, I need advice, getting really pissed at my computer now.

More about : cpu light display

a b à CPUs
January 20, 2013 2:32:05 AM

Sounds like a dead motherboard to me. Do you have a case speaker?
m
l
January 20, 2013 4:07:57 AM

The Motherboard has one of the attached beepers that connects where the LEDs do.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2013 4:40:15 AM

I'd remove the mobo and take out the backup bat. and then clean everything and reinstall 1 part at a time, starting in between each that, could be mobo. re-seatting the ram, or my 2 fav stumpers a single bent cpu pin, computer ran great for a year, decided +4gb of ram and blame nothing but problems, fix a safety pin makes a GREAT pin straightener. #2 random fail boom, black screen comp dead, but eventually it would restart. Solution don't drop a mobo screw and assume gravity will take care, nope lodged between the case and the mobo and now touch your computer in it's secret spot and bam crash, have fun..
m
l
January 20, 2013 4:49:42 AM

montosaurous said:
Sounds like a dead motherboard to me. Do you have a case speaker?

Also, what do you think could have caused the motherboard dying, I got it barely a year ago and haven't done anything other than install a heatsink.
m
l
January 20, 2013 5:09:51 AM

Unplug, remove backup battery, sleep, blow it off to watch football, get drunk, sleep, see if it works monday..
m
l
January 20, 2013 11:51:46 PM

scottfree1 said:
I'd remove the mobo and take out the backup bat. and then clean everything and reinstall 1 part at a time, starting in between each that, could be mobo. re-seatting the ram, or my 2 fav stumpers a single bent cpu pin, computer ran great for a year, decided +4gb of ram and blame nothing but problems, fix a safety pin makes a GREAT pin straightener. #2 random fail boom, black screen comp dead, but eventually it would restart. Solution don't drop a mobo screw and assume gravity will take care, nope lodged between the case and the mobo and now touch your computer in it's secret spot and bam crash, have fun..

I'll do that now, Just need a table to test on, I'll get back once I've done that.
Ill test: Reseating RAM, CPU, GPU, Heatsink, remove batter, clean,
Thanks, hopefully it works!
m
l
January 21, 2013 12:05:27 AM

Also when installing a new heatsink/fan taking the mobo out is best practice. Blow out dust, cable clean-up, getting the sink dead center, has gained me -3/4c these giant new fans, like stuffing 10lbs of shite into a 5lbs of case..
m
l
!