Umm, I think I pretty much "half fried" (baked?) my 8120!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
So I recently bought a new ASUS motherboard and it does not want to overclock very well. I had to get the overclocking software to do it for me because whenever I put my CPU at a speed it sticks there no matter what the load is. So anyway I've been trying quite a bit to get it to work because the automatic overclock did not get the speeds I wanted to and it was overclocked by changing the bus speed. So about 10 minutes ago I was attempting again because I download Planetside 2, which is a MMO game and I turned the settings all the way up and it was lagging anyway because I have a 7970 I was thinking it's the CPU bottlenecking it (I still think it is). But right when I went to turn up the settings on my CPU it popped up a message saying the CPU is like at 1.6V! I though this was an error but I thought I turned off the software's overclock (I had similar issues before). I immediately shut it off but whenever I attempt to overclock it says it's failing to boot like I damaged the CPU. At the moment (at stock speeds) I'm running prime95 just to make sure it's stable at the moment. What do you think happened. Maybe it's time for Intel :).

Solution
It has a 3-year warranty.

I'm pretty sure overclocking is not covered, but I have no idea how they determine if it's been overclocked. (or if they even can)

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
"But right when I went to turn up the settings on my CPU it popped up a message saying the CPU is like at 1.6V! I though this was an error but I thought I turned off the software's overclock."

Did you "turn up the settings" on your CPU or "turn off the overclock"?

This doesn't make sense.

I don't know of any settings you can "turn up" for a CPU that don't involve overclocking and more voltage. It's possible to overclock and undervolt at the same time, but that's often a tedious trial and error affair, not anything like just "turning up the settings".

The reason your other overclock was "stuck" probably was a matter of the power saving features being disabled when you overclocked.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I overclocked a bit but apparently the overclock from the software was still on and it added voltage and speed no matter what they were when the system was turning on. Also the motherboard just has settings I'm not used to :).

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Watch your vcore when you run a stress test.

If the voltage is relatively steady and it crashes with just +1 on the multiplier, RMA the CPU.

(No voltage will be 100% steady, but it should settle into a very small "range" on each test.)

Oh, and let us know what vcore you are seeing under load.

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Have you tried a lower the multi and higher fsb? In bios disable all power mang. lower the multi 2 steps and up the fsb 5% based on my cpu that would be 15x & 210 fsb see if this is stable. If it is keep upping the fsb, make sure to lower your nb & ht fqz as you go cause these are raised by the ++ the fsb. My goal would be stable 3.6 for now, use it for a month then revisit if you really need the hassle that comes with a twitchy oc..

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

It keeps like 1.3V there, but the thing is that I had the CPU for about a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.