Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a Proc-Mobo combination for Media PC

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2012 1:36:18 PM

Hi all, I am upgrading an older computer. I need help choosing a processor and mother-board.

I need the new system to do the following:
- Watch 1080p movies (even those with high quality and bitrate) without any stuttering.
- Photo and Video conversion and editing - I have a video cam that shoots 1080p. I need to convert it to other formats. Doesn't matter if it takes longer, but should be able to handle it.
- Run all MS Office applications smoothly, even with big documents.
- Browse complex javascript-intensive websites smoothly.

Things I will not do with the system:
- I will not be playing latest games
- I will not be using 3D modelling software.
- I will not open 10 applications at the same time. No multi-tasking really.

I have the following components in mind, not sure which of those to combine:

Processors:
- Intel Core i3 2120 [Rs. 7,000]
- Intel Pentium Processor G630 [Rs. 3,500]

Motherboards:
- ASUS P8B75-V [Rs. 7,000]
- Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H [Rs. 3,500]

RAM:
- Transcend 4GB DDR3 [Rs. 1,300]

I am not planning to buy GPU unless someone suggests that it is necessary.

The website is I will be buying from is http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components?_pop=flyou...

Can you help me choose a combination that will take care of my needs and also the cheapest among them? I want it cheap because of financial constraints. The cheapest combination that will get the job done will be ideal for me.

Thanks!

Old system:
- Pentium 4 1.9GHz [GOING OUT]
- Mercury Mobo with god-knows-what chipset [GOING OUT]
- 2GB DDR1(?) RAM [GOING OUT]
- 2TB 7200rpm Hard Disk [RETAINING]
- 350W PSU [RETAINING]
- ATX cabinet [RETAINING]
- DELL ST2220 21.5" 1920x1080 LED Display [RETAINING]
September 6, 2012 9:07:50 AM

Hello,
If you plan to do video and picture conversions then you want a processor with quick sync technology from Intel and the Core i3-2120 is armed with it, so you made a good choice there. For you, the motherboard doesn't need to be anything special so I found the MSI H6M-P20 which is a bit cheaper than your other choices. As for RAM, 8GB will help out very much and so I recommend you buy two(2) G.Skill NT DDR3 4GB (1x4GB). With the money you save on these few parts I may add one more part to your list of things to consider buying, a Solid State Drive would help make the video and picture conversion go much faster.

Hope I was able to help.
m
l
!