Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition and MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2013 4:58:07 AM

Hi all,

I'm preparing an order for parts to build a custom pc. I am going with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition and am considering the MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard. This Mobo is listed as compatible with other 125w CPU's, however I want to be sure before purchasing.
I've tried checking the compatibility for these two parts but failed to find anything. Does anyone here know if they are compatible or not? All the other Phenom II X4 CPU's seem to be listed but not this one. Thanks in advance for any help.
a c 174 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
January 20, 2013 5:06:21 AM

AM3+ and the 9xx series chipset as long as it supports 125watt cpus will be compatible with any am3 cpu beside the 140watt 965 BE that isnt sold anymore, and good way to find out too is to go to msi's website find the motherboard page, and look thru the compatible cpu list. - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html#/?div=CPUSu...

Suprisingly the 140watt 965 BE is on the list as well, so ur set
m
l
January 20, 2013 5:11:41 AM

lazyboy947,

Thank you VERY much for confirming this for me. This is going to be my first custom build. Like I stated at first I did check the compatibility on the MSI site and saw that the other "version" of the Phenom II X4 965 was listed. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything important as the specific black edition model wasn't listed.
Anyways thanks again I do appreciate the quick reply.
m
l
a c 174 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
January 20, 2013 5:15:37 AM

Actually the 965 was only made as a black edition, the only difference was the wattage and the list says the watts, the model "965: is in the model number since they dont just say PIIx4 965. All good and doesnt hurt to be sure, then ur mad cause u got the wrong thing lol
m
l
!