Upgrading

Hello All, I'm thinking about upgrading my current computer (Specs below) I'm considering buying max ram (16gb) and a new graphics card (PCIe x16) I'm also aware that in order to do that I'll need to upgrade my current PSU, and I'm also considering buying a new case?

Any suggestions?

P.S I am a bit of a newb at this, sorry if this is in the wrong place

Current specs: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02629593&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5035348&prodTypeId=12454
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading
  1. 8GB of RAM is more than enough for the vast majority of software.

Your CPU is going to be holding you back once you update the video card.

I'd have a look at GeForce GTX660 Ti and Radeon HD 7870 as a maximum for that set-up, anything more won't really deliver results... no point over purchasing as by the time you want to migrate the video card to a better system it will be outdated by newer tech.

If you have a certain budget in mind, then post some extra details and I'm sure that more responses will appear. :)
  2. I am considering 8gb, since I can just add on another 8gb easily.

Both of those cards are a bit too much, since I'm in around a 300$ budget
  3. - They're both $250 cards.
    - 8GB of RAM is about $50, isn't it?

Where the heck are you buying from?
  4. Newegg, I'll also need to buy PSU
  5. Ahh, sorry, my mistake.

The lowest I recommend anyone consider is the GeForce GTX650 Ti if they're going to be gaming on it.

Or maybe the Radeon HD 7770 if you're on more of a budget.

I don't memorize prices as they change daily, if not hourly

This site is pretty good for quick look-ups, but I'd also suggest checking the Toms Hardware Charts for real-world performance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Graphics Cards Components