Sign in with
Your question

What is better? Intel or AMD?

Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2013 7:46:21 AM

You read it! So whats better? Obviously Intel have insanely more powerful cards than AMD do but which brand is better for gaming?

More about : intel amd

a b à CPUs
January 20, 2013 7:57:46 AM

That would depend entirely on the underlying game engine, how well threaded it is, and how core speed depended it is.

Generally speaking though, Intel has AMD beat.

Edit:
You are saying "more powerful cards" as in graphics cards? If that is the case, then AMD as Intel currently have no discrete graphics Cards.

Also you really have to be more specific, what games are we looking at, older games only utilizing one or two cores, new multi threaded games, are we looking at power consumption too, price, upgradeability of the platform of choice, really need to set some criteria for the comparison of brands.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 20, 2013 8:00:52 AM

Intel has more powerful cards than AMD for gaming?
----------------------------------------------------
No.... :pfff:  :non:  :lol: 

Intel has more powerful processors than AMD for gaming?
------------------------------------------------------------
Depends. They do have quite the lead in gaming on the more expensive side ($130 and above. Piledriver is still a viable option) but AMD does have great options as well for the lower budget builders.
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 20, 2013 8:04:08 AM

Mods, please close this thread.
January 20, 2013 8:39:09 AM

lothdk said:
That would depend entirely on the underlying game engine, how well threaded it is, and how core speed depended it is.

Generally speaking though, Intel has AMD beat.

Edit:
You are saying "more powerful cards" as in graphics cards? If that is the case, then AMD as Intel currently have no discrete graphics Cards.

Also you really have to be more specific, what games are we looking at, older games only utilizing one or two cores, new multi threaded games, are we looking at power consumption too, price, upgradeability of the platform of choice, really need to set some criteria for the comparison of brands.

Thanks for the edit I was rushing. And It's going to be used for almost every game really down to the old games up to the latest and power consumption is not that big of an issue, price neither and desktop. Anything else you need to know just fire away.
January 20, 2013 8:40:42 AM

EzioAs said:
Intel has more powerful cards than AMD for gaming?
----------------------------------------------------
No.... :pfff:  :non:  :lol: 

Intel has more powerful processors than AMD for gaming?
------------------------------------------------------------
Depends. They do have quite the lead in gaming on the more expensive side ($130 and above. Piledriver is still a viable option) but AMD does have great options as well for the lower budget builders.

Thanks price isn't an issue so would a Intel processor run better than an AMD with exactly the same specs? Or would they be exactly the same?
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 20, 2013 8:46:06 AM

It's useless to spend anything more than an i5-3570K, which is the best processor for gaming (as primary usage). Tom's Hardware just did their best cpu for gaming article, look up on that and buy based on your budget.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 20, 2013 8:47:30 AM

They dont have anywhere near similar specs? if you want new build advice go follow the guide.

www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advi...

You're not providing information or answering questions and your topic reads like trying to start a flame war.
a c 478 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 117 å Intel
a c 120 À AMD
January 20, 2013 1:54:13 PM

If money is not an issue then Intel. If you want to shave $40 - $60 off your total build cost then AMD.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 3:40:48 AM

I agree with mufin just lock this. Both cpus do the job
January 21, 2013 4:00:19 AM

actually amd has the best graphics card right now, both are good however. I bought an fx 8350 and im blown away at the fps you canget with it, for the price deff buy the 8 core vishera its only a few fps off of a i5 3570k and it kills the i5 and gives thes i7 a run for its money, heres some gaming benchmarks
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-83...
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 4:02:50 AM

@diablo34life

FX8350 and i5-3570K are not graphics card. Intel doesn't have any gaming graphics card.
January 21, 2013 4:04:40 AM

EzioAs said:
@diablo34life

FX8350 and i5-3570K are not graphics card. Intel doesn't have any gaming graphics card.

read the question again cant be to hard to miss,
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 4:08:11 AM

diablo34life said:
read the question again cant be to hard to miss,

The question: Obviously Intel have insanely more powerful cards than AMD do but which brand is better for gaming?

Intel have more powerful cards? You're with him on this? :lol:  :lol: 
January 21, 2013 4:09:44 AM

EzioAs said:
The question: Obviously Intel have insanely more powerful cards than AMD do but which brand is better for gaming?

lol hahaha you dont know that NVidia is with intel
January 21, 2013 5:18:27 AM

EzioAs said:

I accidentally wrote cards.
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 5:40:23 AM

amuffin said:
Mods, please close this thread.

Hahaha your just a troll at heart, arn't you oldmuffin?
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 5:42:09 AM

diablo34life said:
lol hahaha you dont know that NVidia is with intel

HAHHAHAHAH you are joking right??? You have to be?
January 21, 2013 5:44:44 AM

Can you stop arguing on my question please I made a little mistake by accident and it was a serious question... -.-
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 5:47:33 AM

Starmaderp said:
Can you stop arguing on my question please I made a little mistake by accident and it was a serious question... -.-

Sorry dude. Intel is better, AMD is cheaper. So an AMD with "the same" specs is not as good as an Intel with the same specs...
January 21, 2013 5:52:06 AM

Novuake said:
Sorry dude. Intel is better, AMD is cheaper. So an AMD with "the same" specs is not as good as an Intel with the same specs...

lol this kid has to be 12 amd has better graphics card right now, you been listening to ur other 12 year old friends to much at school. lol he doesn't even know that NVidia only makes intel drivers. but noooo intel doesn't have a relationship with NVidia because a 12 year old said so
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 5:55:36 AM

diablo34life said:
lol this kid has to be 12 amd has better graphics card right now, you been listening to ur other 12 year old friends to much at school. lol he doesn't even know that NVidia only makes intel drivers. but noooo intel doesn't have a relationship with NVidia because a 12 year old said so

What's with you and graphics card? OP wanted to know which processpor/CPU (Central Processing Unit) is better. He made a mistake at the first post and he admitted it just now. We're not talking about graphics card/video card/GPU/video adapter/graphics adapter, we're talking about CPUs here.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 6:19:51 AM

Novuake said:
Hahaha your just a troll at heart, arn't you oldmuffin?

Maybe... :whistle: 
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 6:20:33 AM

diablo34life said:

Mine is bigger.
January 21, 2013 6:38:11 AM

EzioAs said:
What's with you and graphics card? OP wanted to know which processpor/CPU (Central Processing Unit) is better. He made a mistake at the first post and he admitted it just now. We're not talking about graphics card/video card/GPU/video adapter/graphics adapter, we're talking about CPUs here.

whats wrong with you im talking to the other guy spreading false information, if you read the comment it wasn't aimed at ops question I already answered it.
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 6:40:22 AM

diablo34life said:
whats wrong with you im talking to the other guy spreading false information, if you read the comment it wasn't aimed at ops question I already answered it.

GIVE THIS GUY BEST ANSWER!!!! Oh please please PLEEEEAAAAASE...

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

EDIT : Oh wait its a discussion... Hahaha...
January 21, 2013 6:44:41 AM

Novuake said:
GIVE THIS GUY BEST ANSWER!!!! Oh please please PLEEEEAAAAASE...

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

EDIT : Oh wait its a discussion... Hahaha...

atleast I don't have 2 accounts to make myself look better, theres a reason no one agrees with you , ....
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 6:50:27 AM

diablo34life said:

Doesn't mean I can't comment at your inaccurate answers.

And by the way, you mean this?

Quote:

It's mostly true. Intel CPUs are better than their counterparts from AMD in gaming. Even the benchmark link you gave shows that. In some games (ie skyrim, starcraft II), to get the same level of performance as an i5-3570K, the FX8350 has to be overclocked to 4.4GHz or so. So yeah, Intel is better, AMD is cheaper. However, AMD CPUs are not a bad purchase if OP decided to overclock anyway.

Plus,

diablo34life said:
actually amd has the best graphics card right now, both are good however.

I don't know if you actually meant CPU or video cards here...we're actually talking between Intel and AMD CPU.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 7:02:48 AM

Sigh. everyone Who has knowledge of pc KNOWS that intel is faster than amd atm and has been for a awhile now. Its not fanboyism its just FACT. amd is good for bang for buck cpus like the 4300/6300 however if you can save a bit more and get a i5 thats a better route.

To answer your question: Intel is better. Faster.less power, and even at the lower price points still has the i3s to compete i personally prefer amd at the lower price points since i have fun overclocking :D 
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 7:16:39 AM

diablo34life said:
atleast I don't have 2 accounts to make myself look better, theres a reason no one agrees with you , ....

Oh and where is this second account of mine??? Hahaha, go look at my threads mate.
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 7:18:39 AM

EzioAs said:

Quote:

It's mostly true. Intel CPUs are better than their counterparts from AMD in gaming. Even the benchmark link you gave shows that. In some games (ie skyrim, starcraft II), to get the same level of performance as an i5-3570K, the FX8350 has to be overclocked to 4.4GHz or so. So yeah, Intel is better, AMD is cheaper. However, AMD CPUs are not a bad purchase if OP decided to overclock anyway.

Yeah I agree. I was just oversimplifying.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 7:20:33 AM

diablo34life said:

You don't see the irony in that? :sarcastic: 
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 7:30:24 AM

diablo34life said:

You do have two accounts.

diablo24life
diablo34life

Unless you changed your name, anyway doesn't matter to me.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 7:52:05 AM

Lol everyone hates diablo. How old are you really diablo? if i may ask.
January 21, 2013 8:30:39 AM

Since your all here and willing to talk about GPU's.... Should I buy the Radeon 7970 3GB or wait until the 8970 comes out then buy 7970 when its cheaper if there is a price reduction. Or even buy the 8970.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 8:50:43 AM

Ah, the waiting. I think there are 3 things you need to consider:

1. How important is it to you to get the video card? Do you already have one or are you just upgrading? If you already have one, do you want the performance improvements now or later? How much of a performance increase are you expecting?

2. When will the next gen HD8000 series comes out? So far, rumors indicate that it might be in Q2 this year (I'm not sure there's an official news yet). That's more than 3 months away. Personally, I would recommend you wait only if the next gen comes out in 1-2 months away.

3. If it is indeed Q2 2013, can you wait that long? If you can't wait anymore, no sense in continuing to do it.

Also, the next gen card is actually just a refined HD7000 series. Perhaps performance will increase somewhere between 15-20% (speculation) and maybe power consumption will slightly go down as well. Other than that, there's not much difference between HD8000 and HD7000. I recommend you buy what you need now.

January 21, 2013 8:58:49 AM

EzioAs said:
Ah, the waiting. I think there are 3 things you need to consider:

1. How important is it to you to get the video card? Do you already have one or are you just upgrading? If you already have one, do you want the performance improvements now or later? How much of a performance increase are you expecting?

2. When will the next gen HD8000 series comes out? So far, rumors indicate that it might be in Q2 this year (I'm not sure there's an official news yet). That's more than 3 months away. Personally, I would recommend you wait only if the next gen comes out in 1-2 months away.

3. If it is indeed Q2 2013, can you wait that long? If you can't wait anymore, no sense in continuing to do it.

Also, the next gen card is actually just a refined HD7000 series. Perhaps performance will increase somewhere between 15-20% (speculation) and maybe power consumption will slightly go down as well. Other than that, there's not much difference between HD8000 and HD7000. I recommend you buy what you need now.

Also another factor would be what would be the price drop of the 7000 series because of the 8000's release. That is what I'm mainly thinking about and to be honest I don't think they will go down at all.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 9:06:20 AM

They'll go down. Probably not much sometimes or it could take a while. Take for example the GTX560ti. Some 560ti cost as much as $230 even though the GTX660 at that price beats it hands down.
January 21, 2013 9:12:10 AM

EzioAs said:
They'll go down. Probably not much sometimes or it could take a while. Take for example the GTX560ti. Some 560ti cost as much as $230 even though the GTX660 at that price beats it hands down.

Thanks Ezio! One more question. What cards are better between AMD and Nvidia for my personal use. I'm going to have 2 screens in the future but 1 for gaming 1 for like easy music/chatting access. I like to play all my games at max so I'm thinking Nvidia because only 1 screen for gaming + they have PhysX which is what usually destroys the card I have now because it can't handle physics very well. (Radeon HD 6870)
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 9:19:14 AM

Depends on your budget. Either an AMD or Nvidia card can both handle 2 monitors. If you want an Nvidia card because you want physx, then get an Nvidia card. These are my recommendations. You'll see I left out the GTX 660ti because at it's price, I believe the HD7950 is better in many terms and the not much slower GTX 660 is priced way lower. However, it's not an entirely bad card.

$380-400
----------
AMD Radeon HD7970
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670

$300-320
----------
AMD Radeon HD7950

$230-250
----------
AMD Radeon HD7870
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

$200-220
----------
AMD Radeon HD7850 2GB

$165-180
----------
AMD Radeon HD7850 1GB

$145
-----
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650ti

$120-135
----------
AMD Radeon HD7770

$95-110
---------
AMD Radeon HD7750
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2013 11:24:30 AM

This thread was bad
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:26:27 PM

diablo34life said:

What!! :pfff: 

And you no longer have one of your accounts. :whistle: 
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:28:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What!! :pfff: 

And you no longer have one of your accounts. :whistle: 

Haha was wondering when you would come waltzing in...
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:31:06 PM

sarinaide said:
This thread was bad

Baaad to the bone...

Geesh I feel old now...
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:36:14 PM

Novuake said:
Haha was wondering when you would come waltzing in...

I would have commented earlier but I was laughing so hard at the drivel that diablo34life was spewing that I couldn't focus on the keyboard. :ange: 
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:38:28 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I would have commented earlier but I was laughing so hard at the drivel that diablo34life was spewing that I couldn't focus on the keyboard. :ange: 

For me my fingers move automatically between "H" and "A" as I laugh. :pt1cable: 
January 21, 2013 12:38:52 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Thank you! XD Shame my question/s have been answered now.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:40:08 PM

Starmaderp said:
Thank you! XD Shame my question/s have been answered now.

So I can close this thread then can I?
a c 217 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 137 À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:44:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So I can close this thread then can I?

Please do...
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
January 21, 2013 12:56:14 PM

Novuake said:
Please do...

Actually I was waiting for a response from the OP.
!