Flickering Second monitor

jared1259

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hello all I have a very difficult to solve flickering second monitor. I know what you're thinking, but i know what i'm doing and I've already tried the 'normal' stuff. Here's the story.

I'm assisting people in a new office my company has set up. They originally had everyone set to work on virtual machines hosted off site, but there were issues. So the company sent hard drives with everything pre-installed. The idea was to put them in the machines and get right to work. After we did this one monitor on one PCs started to flicker on one screen. Specifically the screen using the VGA cable (the other is DP).The steps we used to trouble shoot were:

-Trying different cables
-Trying different monitors
-Checking that the refresh rate was correct
-Uninstalled and re-installed different versions of the drivers (intel HD)
-Trying the monitors on different computers

After this we got desperate so we pulled the HDD out and threw it in a different machine, and we still got the flickering. At this point the flickering seems inexplicably linked to the HDD. Unfortunately we need to use this HDD because it has all the special permissions, access, proprietary software, etc. we need and it will take a few days to get someone to re-install all of this. At this point the only other idea i have is to copy the entire image and put it on a new HDDand see if that solves things. Unfortunately that's a lot of work and I doubt the physical HDD is the problem, it has to be some sort of weird software bug.

Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
If the system that installed the OS, software etc is not identical to the computer that is subsequently using it, it could be an architecture problem in that drivers that were originally installed are no longer valid or are causing a conflict. I have moved a HDD between 2 ALMOST identical computers in the past and had issues, not the same as yours but it was down to thge problem mentioned above.

jared1259

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
The thing is we have 6 identical systems that had hard drives replaced and only one of them is having these issues.

have you tried using the monitor and system without the drive..and does it still ripple??? with small work form facotor pc it might be a bad power supply. the power supply might be able to run fine with one drive and one video card..but under load it could be having an issue. if these are 5 dell or hp units and are the same model...take a look to see if the bios on all the units are the same..also use gpu-z on on the unit that has an issue and one of the other units. see what both video cards are. also use cpu-z and see if the mb are the same. i would check to see that the mb chipset drivers are up to date. also check to see if the monitor is set for analog or digital. the vga port input is an analog input. I would try and use the monitor menu and do a system reset on it. if they dont work..and the power supply is fine...if the pc under warranty or lease..have the mb swapped out..if not look into picking up a cheap video card with two ports on it.

jared1259

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Those are all great ideas.

Thanks!

I'll try them out tonight and let you know.

jodybdesigns

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Its your overclock. if you leave your card overclocked, ALL of your digital signals will flicker. Mine does the same, turn off the overclock in CCC, the throttling the card does in the bios for voltages and clocks causes this

also, flash will cause flickering too

i have a 6870 (5870 cypress rebadge)

try using ONLY your VGA signal - unplug the DVI - bet it stops EVEN WITH your overclocks - something about SOME radeon cards VGA + DVI - im running 3 monitors off one card, an active VGA on display port - a HDMI > DVI converter > and my DVI signal, both my HDMI and DVI will flicker, my DP to VGA will not, because its being picked up as an analog signal