Computer turns on and turns off a second later.

Saintrhys

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hello,
I just bought a computer and I set it up, turn it on and it turns off again a second later then will not respond any more after that.

I sent it back to the company and they called me saying it was working that it just turned on and off but started up again 3 seconds later.

So I receive the computer back and set it up once more to find that it is still doing the same.

Am I doing something wrong when I'm setting it up, like having a mouse and keyboard plugged in or is it to do with there not being and OS installed yet.

Any help would be amazing.

If you bought this off the shelf and wasn't built by you I'd try the below. They may sound silly, but just try them. By the way what brand is it?

- Plug it directly into the wall and not through a power stripe. If that doesn't fix it take it to another room that is on a different circuit breaker and try directly in to the wall.

- Replace the power cord and try a new one, maybe swap from a monitor or something. I've seen a bad power cable before and I was very frustrated by the time I figured it out.

- turn it on without anything plugged into it like monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I've seen some really strange things already where a keyboard made a PC reboot.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
A computer that is working properly should not turn off and then back on 3 seconds later. If the company told you that, you should take it back for a replacement or repair.