Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Games not running!

Last response: in Windows 7
May 23, 2009 10:16:35 PM

Just built a new ssytems, installed windows 7 ( what an iprovment!) but for some reason when i try and play C&C generals upon loading up an error messgae coems up saying you must direct x 8 or higher to run this game. But i have 10?
please help its really bugging me!

thanks dudes

More about : games running

May 24, 2009 1:18:58 AM

It's probably not recognizing the newer directx version, try running the game in compatibility mode or in xp emulation.

Also, try reinstall directx10, just in case.
May 25, 2009 3:49:49 PM

iv downloaded xp mode but how do you get it to work/start it up? iv tried the other solutions but they didnt work. its windows 7 64 bit by the way.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 26, 2009 2:31:45 PM

Right Click the game - Properties

You will be able to specify which compatibility mode from there.
May 26, 2009 3:15:37 PM

iv alrwady doen this and it still doesnt work with/without xp mode installed, in control panel/programs it says xp mode is installed but its not in the start menu and wont show up in search, and yes its the 64 bit version to match the o.s, sorry to be a pain guys! :) 
May 26, 2009 7:43:45 PM

Uhm... Mars... Scott suggested you run the program in compatibility mode... not to use XP mode. Just follow the instructions that were already given to you, and right click the game's executable, go to Properties, and try using Vista or XP compatibility mode.
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2009 5:00:57 AM

MS Virtual Machine is what the entry is named... that's what you have to click to enable XP Mode.
May 27, 2009 12:00:48 PM

fulle said:
Uhm... Mars... Scott suggested you run the program in compatibility mode... not to use XP mode. Just follow the instructions that were already given to you, and right click the game's executable, go to Properties, and try using Vista or XP compatibility mode.

uhm......thats what I did if you read the post correctly it says I have already tried this and it still didn't work.
Nah Zoron MS virtual machine isnt anywhere on my PC! :(  it just has it listed in installed programs, this is the secodn time iv installed it to
May 27, 2009 12:05:59 PM

Ok managed to locate virtual windows xp folder in C:/Program files and the folder contains 3 files

KEY (text file)
virtual windows xp.vhd (which is 1.1GB in size so im guessing thats it)
VXPEULA (text file)

The vhd file is unrecognised by windows. Also shouldn't this folder be in C:/Program files (x86) ?
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2009 1:57:08 AM

You did install the other file (update) that you needed before you installed the XP Mode, right? This is the Virtual Machine update that is needed to run "XP Mode".
May 28, 2009 12:44:36 PM

oh right lol, no i just downloaded "xp mode" from microsoft, do you have a link for the update, tar
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2009 6:35:51 AM

It's all on the same page... there were two files to download, not just one.
May 31, 2009 7:01:32 AM

You need correct version of dx. Browse your C&C generals cd for Directx folder and install dx from there. This has solved problems for couple of friends with older games one of them being NFS Most Wanted
!