Slow Boot up : then os not found?? please help

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
my puter crashed and had to fdisk to get it up and running, now after i turn the power off it boots slow and does not load windows just says no operating system found. i have looked in the set up and found there is nothing listed on the primary hd. have loaded defaults and exit and it boots ok till i shut it down then same msg. is it not holding the defaults in set up any thing i can do to ??? also if i just wait long enough it will boot on its own like 5 min or so.

dazed and confused with all this puter stuff

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Need more info. About what you did on your computer? So I guess after you fdisk and format you loaded windows? You are able to get into windows sometimes or not at all? Does your system date change every time you shut off your computer? Everything go ok from there? HD the only one on IDE cable? If not check jumpers, connections and etc.

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
thanks for your interest in my problem, hp 8560 500 mhz celleron cpu, 128 mb ram, hp cdrw drive, western digital 12.7 g hd, windows 98 oem ver..... i had installed two sticks of generic pc 133 memory and it crashed my pc. removed it and it still would not boot only hang up windows load. then placed oem restore disc in it to restore to oem and got msg bad file alocation table... then i installed a win 98 boot disc and tryed to format.. it failed too... got msg bad file alocation table.. then tryed to fdisk it failed also deleted partition and made new one then tryed to install software after format. then it would not load oem restore or load anything.... just about to give up when a friend at a computer shop tested hd. it tested ok he then ran fdisk, then formated. and i installed it and alls well till i shut down for the first time then it started with the boot problem.. i looked in set up and found there was no primary hd listed none.. so i loaded defaults and there it was .. so i exited saving and it was fine even with restarts. then after it is shut down completly it stars all over again.... "well thats my story and i'm sticking to it" sorry it so long chuck

dazed and confused with all this puter stuff

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sounds like a motherboard problem. You can either flash the BIOS, try and return the board, or just remember to go into BIOS and fix the problem every time you turn your PC on :)

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
also too, check your mobo and manual to see if there is a jumper for clearing CMOS. and see what it's set at

always with one shoe untied and never finding the other.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Perhaps your battery in the motherboard might need to be changed... Try updating the BIOS and stuff, but that's what I'm thinking.

Kernel32.dll error...aw, son of a.... :eek:

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Did you do a scandisk? If so what did it say? I had a problem with on copy of fat table was bad and scandisk said it needed to replace it. I would say yes and I can boot into windows, but it keeps on coming back. I replaced the hard drive twice and my last thing was the whole MB. This is when udma 33 was out. I upgrade my hard drive and my MB did not support the new HD. So I keep on getting the errors. They were registry errors also and page farts and etc. Bottom line to my problem was new hardware old MB.

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>