Linking XP - Help

July 25, 2005 6:16:21 PM

My brother had two windows ME machines in different states and needed
to be able to access Quickbooks' accounts on one machine from the
other. He was using PCAnywhere via two phone-modems on the machines
and it worked just fine.

He now has a two new XP machines in same scenario and still needs to
be able to access Quickbooks' accounts on the one machine (which is
now DSL ISP) from the other (which is now Cable ISP).

He has been warned not to use PCAnywhere for security reasons. He
was told XP fire walling also would cause woes. I am sure he can
disable the fireballs, but he really shouldn't do that. I also am
sure he can continue to use PCAnywhere via the two phone-modems, but
should he do this?

Can anyone suggest a best way to go to do what he needs to do?

Please.

Geezer

..

More about : linking

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:41:27 AM

Get Started Using Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

--
Good Day
River Rat

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
[...]

Related resources
July 26, 2005 6:41:33 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:41:27 -0500, "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote:

>Get Started Using Remote Desktop
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

I am trying to set this up - but I have to wonder how badly 'remote
desktop' exposes my host machine to the outside world.

Thanks

Geezer
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:28:29 PM

Remote Desktop uses its own encryption for the data stream, so it is
somewhat secure. However, any encryption can be broken, given enough time.
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,1...
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
http://www.networkblog.net/

--