• Gtx
  • GPUs
  • Power
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2012 11:39:57 AM

Hey,

I've just recieved my gtx 680 this morning :-D

now my PSU an aging jeantech storm 700w (next thing to be replaced in a few months) it has x2 6 pin adaptors and the GTX 680 is Palit and requires a 6pin+8pin power.

In the 680's box i got an adaptor x2 6pin = 8pin which is great but as soon as i use my only two 6 pin for that single 8pin on the GPU i have nothing to go in the remaining 6 pin on the GPU.

I do however from my previos GTX 460 box have a x2 3pin molex = 6pin adapter.

my concern is this seems a very odd bodd job in giving the GPU the juice it needs. Will everything be ok with this kind of setup until i can replace my PSU with something more up to date in a few months.

my other option i was thinking that might not be as good is buy one of these single 6pin to 8pin adaptors but reading up x2 6pin to 8pin is reccommeded for the 150w the 8pin typically supplies.

Cheers for reading

advice appreciated :-D

More about : gtx 680 power 8pin 6pin

a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 11:41:39 AM

You received a response to your first posting
Stop repeating the question
July 18, 2012 11:45:57 AM

delluser1 said:
You received a response to your first posting
Stop repeating the question

duplication wasnt intentional!.... first time round it said the site was down, unable to post. but appears it still posted my question
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 12:06:28 PM

You could go buy a 2x4 to 6 pin converter but as a rule never use converters on something like a 680 it is shameful and will likely cause slowness or bogging down due to a lack of power, don't be cheap if you have money for a 680 , with another 60 dollars you can pickup a Corsair cx600 and run it properly.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 1:32:44 PM

Using adapters is shameful? I don’t really get emotional or feel shame about computers…. Any way the GTX680 has a max draw of 195 watts. That means this card does not really need a 6 pin and an 8 pin. I don’t know why the manufacturer decided to use a 6pin and an 8pin. The board will supply 75, and the 2x 6 pins will provide 75 each. That is 225 watts, more than enough. If we compare that to a gtx470 that has a max draw of 215 and it runs fine with only 2x 6 pins, or the gtx570 that has a max draw of 220 with only 2 6pins.

Now many people will tell you not to use power adapters, because they are bad or evil or shameful, but then why would every major manufacturer include them with their video cards? Bottom line is if your sure your PSU has the extra 195 watts and puts out 30 amps on the 12volt rail you will be fine. You can use whatever adapters you have on hand, just keep your wiring clean.

For the record I would never plug a $500 video card into a $50 PSU. That just seems like a recipe for disaster, but hey it’s your computer give it a try.

PS triple posting tends to make people grumpy. You should try to avoid that in the future.
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 4:30:16 PM

bucknutty said:
Using adapters is shameful? I don’t really get emotional or feel shame about computers…. Any way the GTX680 has a max draw of 195 watts. That means this card does not really need a 6 pin and an 8 pin. I don’t know why the manufacturer decided to use a 6pin and an 8pin. The board will supply 75, and the 2x 6 pins will provide 75 each. That is 225 watts, more than enough. If we compare that to a gtx470 that has a max draw of 215 and it runs fine with only 2x 6 pins, or the gtx570 that has a max draw of 220 with only 2 6pins.

Now many people will tell you not to use power adapters, because they are bad or evil or shameful, but then why would every major manufacturer include them with their video cards? Bottom line is if your sure your PSU has the extra 195 watts and puts out 30 amps on the 12volt rail you will be fine. You can use whatever adapters you have on hand, just keep your wiring clean.

For the record I would never plug a $500 video card into a $50 PSU. That just seems like a recipe for disaster, but hey it’s your computer give it a try.

PS triple posting tends to make people grumpy. You should try to avoid that in the future.

You can't say you would use to adapters to power your 470's would you ?

Since the card normally has 2x6pin instead it has 6 and 8 this means it is either highly overclocked (no model given) or has room for potential overclocking either of which two adapters is really brutal for such a high end card not to mention providing less stable power as well as making you look really cheap or foolish to spend so much money on a GPU that you can not even power properly.

The shame comes from doing things half assed after buying a 500 dollar GPU.
July 18, 2012 8:25:27 PM

Thank you Bucknutty,

Your reply was non biased and helpful... turns out i didnt need to use any adaptors after all, i had a 8 pin PCie for my PSU boxed up i found when i got home from work and the system is setup running fine.. GPU is idle at 33-34C and not exceeded 60C under load from Battlefield on High settings and the whole system is pulling 210watt under load from the wall in accordance with the real time gauge on the PSU.

Thank you spentshells,

I appreciate the ignorance it was a great help :??:  I apollogise for having to upgrade in stages with not having enough money to buy everything out right so i dont look a cheap fool in your eyes. either way, everything is working stable and great until my cheap, half assed attempt can invest in a new PSU as mentioned in my original post and be complete.

and my sincerest apollogies to the community for my duplicate posting, it truly was an accident.

Cheers all :-D
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 8:32:19 PM

Levioth said:
Thank you Bucknutty,

Your reply was non biased and helpful... turns out i didnt need to use any adaptors after all, i had a 8 pin PCie for my PSU boxed up i found when i got home from work and the system is setup running fine.. GPU is idle at 33-34C and not exceeded 60C under load from Battlefield on High settings and the whole system is pulling 210watt under load from the wall in accordance with the real time gauge on the PSU.

Thank you spentshells,

I appreciate the ignorance it was a great help :??:  I apollogise for having to upgrade in stages with not having enough money to buy everything out right so i dont look a cheap fool in your eyes. either way, everything is working stable and great until my cheap, half assed attempt can invest in a new PSU as mentioned in my original post and be complete.

and my sincerest apollogies to the community for my duplicate posting, it truly was an accident.

Cheers all :-D

LOL ignorance you were gonna use adapterss on a 550 card with obvious power needs, good thing you have an 8 pin, are you sure it is not the aux mobo connector ?

My eyes no but anyone who sees that rediculous setup, best of luck see you soon asking about poor performace.
July 18, 2012 9:49:16 PM

yep ignorance, I merely sought advice about how to connect a capable 700w PSU to a GPU with its 'obvious' renowned ability to operate with surprisingly low power needs lol

look im not here to argue i appreciate you looked at my post and tried to help... back handed help it maybe, but it was something :D 

Being a big purchase i didnt want to think about it to much its a Palit 'Reference' design is it known as? not the Jetstream one anyway and no OC... was on sale so i thought sod it its money i havent really got but in 50 years i wont care... blip.. blip..blip and its on its way...

Having looked at a few of the 680's most require x2 6pin pcie... so thats what i was expecting... this thing turns up and its got 1 adaptor in there and i had never seen one that merged 2 6pins into an 8pin ive only seen single 6 pin to 8pin it even recommends using one of them in its setup manual that came with the card... first thought came to mind was crap!

Got on here and asked for advice.

and yea the 8 pin is fine its colour coded red same as the 6 pins pcie double checked the pattern on its connection the 8 pin pcie has a bridge connecting two prongs so you cant plant it in the wrong thing.. my motherboard aux is blue coded and 4+4...
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 9:53:12 PM

^ I'm pretty sure if he needed a 8pin on his mobo... it would already be plugged up to the motherboard... i mean he clearly stated he played BF3. I would think his motherboard would have power issues before he would even get the chance to test the 680. besides you can run a motherboard that has a 8pin connector on it with just a 4 pin. the only real reason you need that extra 4 pin for the power connector is if you need more power for overclocking...
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 11:37:24 PM

Rockdpm said:
^ I'm pretty sure if he needed a 8pin on his mobo... it would already be plugged up to the motherboard... i mean he clearly stated he played BF3. I would think his motherboard would have power issues before he would even get the chance to test the 680. besides you can run a motherboard that has a 8pin connector on it with just a 4 pin. the only real reason you need that extra 4 pin for the power connector is if you need more power for overclocking...

additional 8 pin designed for CPU over 125 watts so neeed it is it likely
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 11:47:15 PM

Best of luck but strangely a regular 680 requires 2X6pim but I say giver
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2012 12:26:04 AM

Well he does have a non reference 680
!