When to update drivers

bhrandon

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Just ordered my first home built and realized that I do not know when to update drivers during the install process or after?

i5-3570k
asrock extreme4
ocz vertex 4
msi 660ti
windows 7

So I went to each vendors website and downloaded drivers in preparation for the assembly. But do I update drivers in a certain order?

I also read a thread on here that windows 7 actually finds most of the drivers is that true? and if so should I just let it do its thing?

Also I have 2 hdd from a system that I will use as backup and the backups backup. Do I need to update anything for them or should they configure themselves, they were both external drives but one is out of its case and will be mounted inside.

I also have two optical drives from an old dell as well as keyboard and mouse, will those configure or do I need to go find drivers for them as well.

thanks for any help

Solution
Good looking build.

For starters, I would download memtest86+ to a cd and run that first.
I do it with all the parts connected but outside of the case.
If you should have any problems, it is better to find out before you put things into the case.

Yes, for the most part, windows 7 will have all the drivers you need to get going.
One thing that will be missing is probably the lan chip drivers.
You will not be able to access the internet untill these are installed.
The easy thing to do is to use the cd that comes with the motherboard to install the motherboard drivers.
Be selective since some cd's come with sampleware junk.

For the SSD, make certain that the bios has set the sata mode to AHCI. That will let windows install the drivers...
Good looking build.

For starters, I would download memtest86+ to a cd and run that first.
I do it with all the parts connected but outside of the case.
If you should have any problems, it is better to find out before you put things into the case.

Yes, for the most part, windows 7 will have all the drivers you need to get going.
One thing that will be missing is probably the lan chip drivers.
You will not be able to access the internet untill these are installed.
The easy thing to do is to use the cd that comes with the motherboard to install the motherboard drivers.
Be selective since some cd's come with sampleware junk.

For the SSD, make certain that the bios has set the sata mode to AHCI. That will let windows install the drivers that pass along the trim command.

When you install windows, do not connect any other HDD's, otherwise windows will try to put a hidden recovery partition on them.

You will have no problems when you connect them later. Either via sata, or usb.

With a SSD, updates are really quick.
Windows will look for the latest drivers for all your parts, so probably you won't have to do anything there.

While you are waiting for delivery, take the time to download and read, cover to cover, the motherboard and case manuals.

-------good luck----------

Solution

bhrandon

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
great thanks! I downloaded everything last night so Im ready for whatever drivers I need I think.

have metest on cd so set there.
when running memtest86 do you just do a default scan? I noticed there were all these settings is there anything I should set it to or is default ok?

Ok cool thanks for all the info, ill get reading tonight

I just let it go one full pass. You should get NO errors.
Actually, I often abort it quickly once I see everything going OK.
I use no special settings.

TRENDING THREADS