Brand new computer boots to black screen

u2king13

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hello all, this is my first time posting to a forum concerning computer related help. I wasn't sure where else to go. I've contacted the manufacturer, but they haven't responded yet.

I recently bought a new computer, CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2099 Desktop PC. ( Here's a link to the exact computer on Newegg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229287

I received it yesterday, and turned it on. Now, I have to say I'm using my TV as my monitor, until I buy a dedicated monitor for it. It's plugged into the hdmi port. (My roommate uses the same setup, so I didn't think it would be a problem) When it turned on, I got the usual splash in the beginning of the bios, and pressing f8 and such if I needed to get into it. I left that alone and let it continue. It displayed the windows logo, then looked like it was about to take that next step into loading, when it just sat on a black screen. I restarted a few times, trying to get past it. Nothing. I loaded into safe mode, and that worked fine.

To make a long story short, I'm suspecting it's graphics card related. Here's why. After re installing windows from my recovery cd, it boots fine into the integrated vga graphics. The second I insert the graphics card cd and install drivers, and restart, it boots into black again. I don't know if this is just my HD tv causing display problems, or what. It's a brand new computer, so haven't made any changes to what's listed in the link.

Do you think I'm correct in my guess, and what do you think I could do to fix this? At the moment I don't have another monitor to test it on, so I'm really hoping that's not it. If it truly might be the cause, I'll borrow one tonight, and test it.

Thank you for your time.

Forget that post I don't think that PC has onboard graphics only the 6670. 1st thing I suggest you try is install the graphics driver from AMDs website not the disc. Also look for a setting (in safe mode if you have to) to make sure the HDMI is the primary port.

u2king13

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
The screen, my HD tv, was plugged into the hdmi slot in the back of the computer. I'm honestly not sure if that connects to my onboard graphics, or my 6670. I want to say it connects to the onboard, since when I'm in safe mode and booting up, it displays to the tv fine. It's only when the computer is told to run graphics from the 6670, that the monitor has no display. The mystery of it is this: When my tv isn't being used, or the computer is asleep, it turns to blue and says no signal. This is what I would expect to see, if the 6670 is just not recognizing the tv. However, it's not. It's just a black screen. That makes me think it notices the tv, and just won't output anything to it for some reason.

I appreciate you answering so quickly.

u2king13

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I tried both. The cd, and downloaded from the site. Is it safe to assume that if my computer, in safe mode, recognizes the hd tv, that the hdmi is recognized as a primary port already? I'm just guessing, I honestly don't know.

I think this is a problem with the display accepting the signal from the card or the card detecting the display incorrectly but I am no expert. Have a look in the display settings in control panel to see if everything looks OK also if you can borrow your room mates screen and see if there is any difference. Short of that hope someone else has a better answer.
Good luck

u2king13

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm going to "borrow" a monitor tonight, and test it on that. I was worried that using my tv as a monitor wouldn't work, and I think that may be it. Do you think this may be one of those things, that if I use a regular monitor to get into the computer to test if it's actually my tv causing the problems, could I adjust it to allow my tv to eventually be used as a monitor? At this point I think I just want the computer to work properly, on whatever monitor it will accept. I'll test if it's the TV causing problems tonight, when I get home from work. Thank you again for the help.

I am not really that sure but I think you are thinking along the right lines. I have not come across the issue with PCs but I know some older DVD players with HDMI don't like connecting to new TVs so I am thinking it is a similar issue. When you get another display working see if you can connect the TV at the same time.

u2king13

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
So you're saying there's a chance?? Is that all there is to it? I just need to right click on the desktop, change the resolution. Then go into the Catalyst Control Center and look for an HDTV option? Is there anything else I should know about it, or is it pretty straightforward? I've almost never used the CCC panel before.

Thank you!