Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing CPU/Mobo for $800 build

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2012 9:15:54 PM

Hello, I'm looking for any advice when it comes to choosing certain parts for an $800 build. I'm choosing parts that will be assembled on cpusolutions.com but I'm trying to narrow it down to the last dollars so I don't spend money on things I'm not going to make use of.

I don't know about overclocking, so this is mainly where my questions come from. If I'm not into overclocking or don't know how, what type of CPU and Mobo should I get? Should I just get a regular b75-m if I'm not going to OC/get an ssd? Or should I spend extra on the mobo anyway as it may just help with performance without OC'ing? If I don't OC should I bother with the i5-3570k or is it still the best I should get with my budget?

My main questions are with the CPU and the Mobo. I'll be buying the GPU separately, which will probably be a 560ti. I already have a corsair 650w psu as well. I've settled on a $65 500gb 7200rpm hdd, a cheap $50 cooler master elite 311 case, and a cheap $20 optical drive along with $45 of 2x4gb corsair RAM.

My main question is what CPU/Mobo would be best for a $800 build that will be put to good use if I'm not an OC'er.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 9:31:22 PM

If it's just a case of don't necessarily want to overclock (but might change mind in future), go with i5-3570K and either B75, or Z77. Then if you do want to OC, in the future, all you've got to change, to do so, is CPU cooler. IF you DEFINATELY don't want to overclock EVER, then don't bother with the unlocked "K" processor, and use, perhaps a H77 mobo, which has all the features of Z77, except overclocking capabilities.
m
l
a c 309 à CPUs
September 5, 2012 9:50:24 PM

The GTX560ti is a $200 part. It is the most important component in a gaming pc. More so than the cpu.
My rule of thumb is to spend twice your cpu budget on the graphics card.
In this case, you are looking at a $230 3570K cpu that you are not planning on overclocking.

For the total $430 cpu/gpu budget, I would spend about $145 on the cpu, and $290 on the graphics card.

For the graphics card, look at a stronger GTX660ti for $300, and
a strong dual core cpu like the new i3-3420 ivy bridge cpu for $150:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Do not be put off by using a good dual core for gaming. Few games can use more than 2 cores.
Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 10:16:54 PM

geofelt said:
The GTX560ti is a $200 part. It is the most important component in a gaming pc. More so than the cpu.
My rule of thumb is to spend twice your cpu budget on the graphics card.
In this case, you are looking at a $230 3570K cpu that you are not planning on overclocking.

For the total $430 cpu/gpu budget, I would spend about $145 on the cpu, and $290 on the graphics card.

For the graphics card, look at a stronger GTX660ti for $300, and
a strong dual core cpu like the new i3-3420 ivy bridge cpu for $150:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Do not be put off by using a good dual core for gaming. Few games can use more than 2 cores.
Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

My only slight "thought" on that is that OP doesn't actually say what he wants PC for. The fact that he's not interested in OC, doesn't necessarily suggest its for "all out" gaming only. I'm all for more GPU, even at the slight expense of CPU, for all out gaming, but chuck in a bit of photo/video, and multi-tasking, and more balanced MAY be better. GTX 560Ti is ample for, at least, decent gaming, and with i5 is "balanced" for general use, with gaming. Depends what OP really wants.
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:04:39 AM

I want to use it for gaming. My budget it only $800 though, a $300 card would make that pretty hard to accomplish. But I want this computer to last 2-3 years. Would bumping up from a 560ti be that important to do so? I don't mind if I can't run things on super ultra settings, but I want it to be decent settings with very good fps for that 2-3 year span.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't choking my performance if I was skimping on the mobo and just getting a b75.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2012 10:44:55 AM

ffooby said:
I want to use it for gaming. My budget it only $800 though, a $300 card would make that pretty hard to accomplish. But I want this computer to last 2-3 years. Would bumping up from a 560ti be that important to do so? I don't mind if I can't run things on super ultra settings, but I want it to be decent settings with very good fps for that 2-3 year span.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't choking my performance if I was skimping on the mobo and just getting a b75.

If you want every possible "bell and whistle", get a Z77 board. The B75 is more than adequate, for all but the high-end enthusiast, who must have the BEST overclocking features etc. All depends on finances. If you can afford one get a Z77, then you know you've got everything you could POSSIBLY want.
m
l
!