Canterwood owners and buyers have been screwed!

eden

Champion
According to THG's latest comparison of chipsets, Springdale TIES the Canterwood, making this piece of crap at the moment a real joke. Any bloke who pays more than 50$ more for Canterwood for this supposed joke of a performance boost, needs a serious treatment. The figures of the benchmarks, show that the P4P800 is on par if not 0.1% (and I'm being GENEROUS HERE!) less performing.

I don't understand this, is Canterwood seriously unoptimized and has no real chipset driver that is appropriate?

In any case, AMD has absolutely lost, there is little reason now to buy any, when the 2.4 800 WITH HT is a deal-blower. They are seriously powerful chips, the 2.8 was even outrunning the old 3.06GHZ sometimes! That and a cheap Springdale will really kick some serious butt.

And I'm just sad for Canterwood owners and future buyers (DON'T!), since they just got royally screwed by paying so much more, when you get the same features.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Anandtech.com paints a different picture (<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1823&p=1" target="_new">see here</A>) showing about a 4.5% boost for Canterwood over Springdale but your point is taken. Canterwood doesn't seem worth the extra cost.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
The only difference between Canterwood and Springdale is PAT, which produces lower latency memory accesses. Seeing as a jump from FSB533 to FSB800 brought about a ~10% increase in performance (possibly less in some applications, more in others), I'd say a ~5% boost from lower memory latency alone is to be expected. Is it worth the money? That depends on you. Is paying $600 for a 3.0C worth it?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not worth it to me! Canterwood was way overhyped while Springdale seemed to come in somewhat under the radar screen.

Does this all mean RDRAM solutions are not dead?

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Ok, I'm not saying Springdale is out of the picture, but considering that my perf upgrade is already small by going from the XP3000 to P4 2.8 800, then I really want to squeeze the extra perf out of my new setup. Sure I could go for the 3.0 P4 combined with Springdale, but that'd still cost more, and give more perf of course, but I can't afford it right now. I'd much rather have a 3.2 P4 or even 3.4 Prescott when I get the money and lust to upgrade again.

I don't believe Canterwood is unoptimized though. I just think you won't get any perf increase at all in benches that don't rely on memory latency and/or bandwidth.
But, like I said in my reply to you at that other thread, I don't wanna risk to lose 10% in new games coming out when I honestly can get the C-wood for only $40 more. That's the cost of 3 CD's here in Sweden. (And I buy lots of those)

The 2.4 is really nice, but the 2.6 and 2.8 is well-priced too. Unless you want absolute top perf, the 3.0 is...well, not so well-priced though.

My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / Soltek 75FRN-RL /
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Maxtor 80Gb ATA-133 / Hercules GTXP SC /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW

mktman

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Warning, I read a lot that I don't understand, but this may apply anyway...

I read a piece on the new intel chips that said the full benefits of hyperthreading and the 800FSB wouldn't be realized until the next chip that will have a 1MB cache. It's supposedly scheduled for Q4.

Is it possible that the new board is a little ahead of the chip?

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
My bet is that the P4's pipelines are starting to run full. Prescott will have longer pipelines, and thus you will probably get more from the 800 FSB, that's my bet. But not my science.

Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Maxtor 80Gb ATA-133 / Hercules GTXP SC /

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Strains on the memory subsystem has nothing to do with pipeline depth. It has to do with clockspeed and cacheline size. Once the P4 reaches 4 GHz (if it ever gets there), we'll see FSB800 become more fruitful compared to FSB533

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
but that was exactly what I meant.. ;)

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Chances are if you're considering Springdale/Canterwood, you're also going to buy a "C" variant Pentium4. I don't see the logic in throwing out ~5 percent of performance, replacing Abit IC7 with Abit IS7 for example in which case the price difference is about $40, when you've already spent at least about $200 for the processor. Everyone's is entitled to an opinion though.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
[H]ardOCP also paints a bit of a different story.

Why is it that THG almost never is in line with other reviewers lately?

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

i think anyone buying new technology is a retard. It's you're own fault. Never buy new technology. wait 6 months. Espeically motherboards! Canterwood is NEW technology so of course it's going to be buggy and not perform well at first. Thats with all new techs! Give it 6 months and it will be a dominating platform with prescott.

I don't even think Intel expected anyone to fork up 250 dollars for a motherboard! Keep doing that and eventually all motherboards will be 250. so stop paying 250 for a motherboard! thats insane!

I can see paying for the gigabyte ultra with it's onboard SCSI 320 for 300 dollars and thats as far as anyone should go!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

UHR

Distinguished
May 22, 2003
This maybe true.... but only for now... we have yet to have a full understanding all of the performance benefits that lie in the future....

There is no Spoon....

eden

Champion
Again, and I've repeated it many times, according to THG's benchmarks, YOU ARE NOT GETTING <b>5%</b> MORE, YOU ARE GETTING <b>0.06%</b> ON AVERAGE.
Only one benchmark had a suitable 5%.
If you're such a dope to love zipping stuff and you need 5 seconds less, then by all means, zip on.

This is based on THG, now if all other sites used Asus P4P800 as well and got much less, and the setups were similar, then consider all I said, to be a self-humiliation, to which I'll concede having been uninformed.

Otherwise, no one IMO is being right in their mind if they really wish to shell out 40$ more for 0.06%.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Yes, You are right, that Canterwood owners are screwed. But I don't think Intel ever said the Canterwood is a mainstream Chipset. It was always a workstation chipset. So the people who bought the Canterwood to play around with it are sure to be screwed since they could have waited another month to get the much cheaper Springdale.

KG

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Sarah Chambers

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
This is based on THG, now if all other sites used Asus P4P800 as well and got much less, and the setups were similar, then consider all I said, to be a self-humiliation, to which I'll concede having been uninformed.
Dude, you don't have to go that far. :) Humiliated over a springdale/canterwood debate? I think there are a lot more serious matters going on in the world than this. ;)

The percentage difference depends on which reviews/articles you look at. From what i've seen, Springdale definetly is recommendable. Both good chipsets. I'm always open to change and considering everything you've said thus far. I would've waited for more reviews and articles before trying to start a <i>springdale revolution</i>. But, it's great that this is being openly discussed.;)

eden

Champion
But if it was a Workstation chipset, WHAT would differentiate it, assuming current performance is NOT noticeable at all?
It boasts all that Springdale does, and costs more, yet its performance according to THG is not there.

OF COURSE, you COULD choose to have the "It's gonna perform better eventually" way, but who here really wants performance LATER than now?
Are we to buy into the nVidia crap and go get the FX cards, in hope the Detonator FX would come out sooner or later, and during that time we just spent on inflated price crap with no performance? Of course that is an example of back then, not now anymore.

I guess what I am saying is, if the current Canterwood doesn't perform any higher than 3% on average, then shelling out so much money, when even the MSI Neo self-overclocks to give you an easy 7% boost across the board for less, is pointless.
Unless Intel does promise a significant performance update revision driver.

--

I find this very interesting. When Canterwood and Springdale where being reviewed Canterwood was the better Board Springdale had less. Canterwood offered the best for the buck. Now all of a sudden Springdale is released an its as good as Canterwood. So how does the Cheaper Chip Springdale better than the top chip Canterwood?

endyen

Splendid
Its all good. You spent a few bucks to get it first. Is it an amazing board or what. Do you want your old 533 board back. Have you already tweaked it past what toms is showing. So you put a few more sheckles in Inel's pocket.
Now they can better battle the infidel Amd. Good job!!

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
i865PE rocks!!! This is the only thing I could say after all reviews I've read. Based on current situation, those who were sooooooo impatient and rush for i875P can only say, "Hey, my Canterwood beat your Springdale in price! How's that!" And in fact, I found that Asus P4P800 is actually better feature than P4C800, so i875P buyers have been screwed by no one else other than themselves.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

eden

Champion
Yes, if you want to have such in rare situations. And where do you see 20$ difference, ON AVERAGE around the web?

--