Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Nvidias GTX 250 and 550Ti in SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2012 2:15:38 PM

Experts, please help me here. My brother owns a GTX250 and I a 550ti which I will change for a Radeon 7970 in September. As we are playing together I could give it to him. Do you think they will work together in SLI? What about the performance? His motherboard is PCI-E 2.0 and his PSU has 600W, it is a Corsair one.

Please help me here.

Thanks in advance.
a c 291 U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 2:18:58 PM

No they will not. For SLI to work, the cards GPU must match.
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:37:13 PM

Thanks. Think I will sell the card.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 2:45:24 PM

Alternatively, if you buy Nvidia come september, say a GTX660 (released in August) or a gtx670, you could use either the 550ti or the 250 as a physx card, which would make some games look very nice. Something to consider.
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:48:47 PM

Keith, could you explain this a little better, please. I can get a gtx670 and use my 550ti as a physx. How? This is really interesting.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 3:04:43 PM

Well, you need an sli comatible board for a start, your psu might be a little streched, so you would have ot look very carefully at the numbers to have both cards in your system. Think the power draw for a 550ti is approx 130w, and the 660ti should be around 200, so you could be pushing it if your overclocking your cpu too!!!

anyway to answer your question, if your MB is SLI then you can have the two cards in , the gtx660 or whatever in the mainslot, and the 550ti in the second slot. you can then set the 550ti to do all the physx work in games, while your main card (660/670 pushes out the lovely FPS) havenet tried it myself, and it only applies to games that incorporate physx (nvidia TWIMTBP titles) , but there are quite a few games. could be worth a look. If you look at some of the advanced pages in the Nvidian Driver (right click your desktop, and select Nvidia control panel) you will see the setting there for physx and it will make more sense.

m
l
July 18, 2012 3:19:08 PM

Thank you so much. I will study this possibility deeply, in fact I am already. Your help was really appreciated, thank you again Keith.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 3:33:42 PM

Your very welcome :)  Have a good day.

Cheers

m
l
July 18, 2012 3:36:55 PM

You could even use an AMD radeon card as main graphics card and an Nvidia card as Physx. You'll have to get that physxmod though. It works really well, i'm using an hd 6950 with flashed bios as my main GPU and then i've an old Nvidia GTS240 as Physx card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 3:57:23 PM

Vyron is correct you can use and AMD Radeon as the main card. But why would you want to. From a continuity/compatibility point of view, I would simply use two nvidia cards as I'm sure there are driver compatibility issues with Radeon + Nvidia, as opposed to Nvidia + Nvidia. Given the history of the two companies, I'm sure this mod for Radeon cards has not gone unnoticed, and I'm sure Nvidia would try doing something to hold that back from taking away from they're own cards.

@ Vyron, do you find it's buggy set-up? I would like to know for my own information, As it was a route I looked at before, but chose not to take. Interesting though.

Personally I would, for the purpose of compatibility, choose the two NV cards as opposed to the AMD+ NV! No fanboyism, just making the point as the OP wants to explore Physx more!

Cheers

m
l
July 18, 2012 6:09:52 PM

Hey, got another question about how good this performance boost is. And I agree with Keith about he compatibility issue, I do not want to have to tweak anything, or hack somehow. Probably I will do this to my brother, installing the 550ti as his main card and using his 250 to physx. Is that a good idea?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 6:36:28 PM

Joao Marcos said:
Hey, got another question about how good this performance boost is. And I agree with Keith about he compatibility issue, I do not want to have to tweak anything, or hack somehow. Probably I will do this to my brother, installing the 550ti as his main card and using his 250 to physx. Is that a good idea?

Hmmm performance boost. just to be clear the performance boost won't be enourmous. The physx can be managed in a number of ways. The cpu can drive the physx, then the gfx is free to just simply pump out the frames. Alternatively, you can have one gpu installed and have physx run partially on that (it takes approx 10-15 percent away of processing power) so you will see a drop in frames. And then the final option is as we outlined. the 550ti as the main card, doing nothing but pumping frames, and the 250 as the physx, taking over where most people normally have the cpu doing the phsyx. TO summarise the performance will be neglegeable but you will have smoother running of your games as is (well those that use physx at least!). Running the setup like this will not give you a boost in frames per second, although you may as a consequence in some games get a very small boost. Both the 550ti and the 250 are similar in performance. The 250 being the old 9800gtx, and the 550ti roughly being the equivelant of a gtx260, my last card, before my 560ti! The 550ti and the 250 will work fine, but as I said earlier there are other variables to consider, your psu, MB, and of course heat. If the two cards you mention don't exhaust the heat out of your pc, inside your case will get hot. So cooling if the cards don't exhaust the heat should be a consideration too. I would give it a go, and see if it makes things any better for your brother. Just be carefull as you do it, not to push the system too far. You should be okay with your psu.
July 18, 2012 6:41:35 PM

That is what I needed to hear.

Thanks once again and have a good day! No, have an excellent day!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 6:58:44 PM

cheers, you too :) 

oh an don't forget to select the best answer!! hehe
m
l
July 18, 2012 7:06:12 PM

Best answer selected by Joao Marcos.
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:09:26 AM

keith12 said:
Vyron is correct you can use and AMD Radeon as the main card. But why would you want to. From a continuity/compatibility point of view, I would simply use two nvidia cards as I'm sure there are driver compatibility issues with Radeon + Nvidia, as opposed to Nvidia + Nvidia. Given the history of the two companies, I'm sure this mod for Radeon cards has not gone unnoticed, and I'm sure Nvidia would try doing something to hold that back from taking away from they're own cards.

@ Vyron, do you find it's buggy set-up? I would like to know for my own information, As it was a route I looked at before, but chose not to take. Interesting though.

Personally I would, for the purpose of compatibility, choose the two NV cards as opposed to the AMD+ NV! No fanboyism, just making the point as the OP wants to explore Physx more!

Cheers

I haven't noticed any bugs so far, but i've only been playing Arkham Asylum as a game that uses phsyx. I mainly use the nvidia card for my 2nd monitor.

If you have another old nvidia card, it's worth trying. But if you want to buy one for physx only, it's a bit of a waste in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
m
l
!