PC crashes

Drops

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
My PC has been crashing lately with a black screen and coolers going crazy. At first I thought it had something to do with Win 8, gaming and beta drivers, so I went back to Win 7 but it still happens- even when just idle in Windows. I have to hard reboot to get past it. Some times it happens while it's been on for just 5 mins!

My PC specs:
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16GB DDR3 1866MHz (4x4)HyperX
XFX Radeon HD 6970 (2 GB)
WD 1000GB Black 64 MB SATA6
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W
SB X-Fi titanium Fatal1ty Pro

I'd enabled turbo boost and such, and had it running at 4.4 ghz, but since this has happened, I've had an error message at boot saying "overclocking failed", and so I've disabled turbo boost and set BIOS to defaults. But it still crashes...

Pretty desperate now, does anyone have some ideas of what this might be?

Also, some times when I boot it up, it reboots by itself a couple of times. As in, it powers off for 1 sec, then on agian for a couple of times until it finally boots up. Not sure if this is related, it has actually done that for a while, but very rarely.

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Sounds like the computer could still be stuck in overclocking mode. Unhook the power, remove the CMOS battery, leave it set for 10 minutes. Put the CMOS battery back in. Plug the computer back in and try again.