Sign in with
Your question

1920x1080 and >60hz refresh rates?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2012 2:49:33 PM

I have an ACER LED 23" monitor, 5ms, native resolution 1920x1080, running off of a Radeon 6950 2gb. Using DVI cable, but have HDMI available as well.

The reported max refresh rate for the monitor is 75hz, but Windows will not allow me the option to change the default refresh rate in the display settings. Vsync caps my refresh rate at 60hz for all games.

Is there any way to change this in Windows?

I have read in a few places that 1080 rez can't go higher than 60hz, but I find that unlikely as many HDTVs these days go well beyond that through a standard HDMI cable. I am not that knowledgeable about the technology involved, but am curious to know.

I am aware that the difference between the two refresh rates is relatively negligible and that it may not really matter for gaming etc, but I am curious nonetheless to see it firsthand. I have read that some people notice a difference in eye strain, but my hypothesis is there's some placebo effects going on there.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2012 4:01:24 PM

You are right in the fact that there is no visual difference, our eyes are capped at around 30fps, and anything between 30 and 60 just appears smoother because of the syncopated way our eyes work.

Anyhow I digress..

If you open up the Catalyst control center there should be a way in there to force a 75Hz refresh rate. I don't actually use ATI so I am not sure where in teh driver you can do this, but you can with nVidia.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2012 4:09:46 PM

I am not sure about this buy I think you need a dual link DVI cable over 60hz @ 1920 x 1080.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 4:14:03 PM

I have tried to force it, but the CCC Vsync is not very functional, and the software/in-game Vsync uses the Windows cap, as well as D3D Overrider (which I use to force triple buffering and Vsync). Using FRAPS, i never get above 60fps.

I understand the 30fps visual perception cap, but I'll never know for sure if and what the differences are (if any) between 30/60/75 unless I try it myself... If, that is, I can actually get the display to run at 75 lol

Thanks for the time, much appreciated :wahoo: 
m
l
July 18, 2012 4:22:18 PM

simon12 said:
I am not sure about this buy I think you need a dual link DVI cable over 60hz @ 1920 x 1080.

I had read this somewhere as well, I may have to check and see if my monitor supports dual link DVI or not... will investigate and post back if I try this route.

Thanks!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2012 4:27:59 PM

You need dual link DVI to go beyond 60hz at 1080p. Displayport may work too, but I'm not sure, I just know Dual Link DVI supports it.

BTW, no TV has a refresh rate higher than 60hz. When they advertise 240hz or even 600hz, all they are doing is using frame interpolation. It inserts extra frames through post processing effects to make the image appear smoother, which is useful for movies or TV shows, but doesn't work like a truly higher refresh rate and adds noticeable input lag.

I wouldn't bother getting a dual link DVI cable just for 75hz either. You won't notice much of a difference. If you had a monitor that supported 120hz, then, it would be noticeable and worth it, but an extra 15hz/frames won't be a big deal.
m
l
July 18, 2012 5:22:14 PM

you probably have the same monitor I do. CCC won't allow you to force the 75 hertz unless you're in a super low resolution that isn't even meant for widescreen displays. I should have spent the additional 100 dollars at the time to get a 120hz monitor. and believe me, your eyes definitely notice the difference at 120hz, especially in gaming.
m
l
September 18, 2013 2:03:02 PM

itzdanielp said:
You are right in the fact that there is no visual difference, our eyes are capped at around 30fps, and anything between 30 and 60 just appears smoother because of the syncopated way our eyes work.

Anyhow I digress..

If you open up the Catalyst control center there should be a way in there to force a 75Hz refresh rate. I don't actually use ATI so I am not sure where in teh driver you can do this, but you can with nVidia.

dramatically late responce, but some people claim we can only see 30fps, so say 300, it's not completely proven, but if you look at a 60hz monitor and 120hz, you can obviously see a difference in smoothness. Even if you cap your game's fps at 30, then cap it at 60, you WILL see a difference
m
l
!