Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it safe for the psu to sit outside of the computer?

Last response: in Components
January 20, 2013 12:56:36 PM

im having a problem with my psu wires not stretching across the case for atx pwr 1 and 2 (24 pin and 4 pin). i just switched cases and added a new psu cooler (my first time) and i would like to atleast be reasured that i didnt fry anything when touching it, i did ground my self several times but i just want to make sure. so the question is, can i safely sit the psu outside of the case and on top of something so the wires reach a little farther. it would only be long enough to see if the computer turns on and logs into windows.

More about : safe psu sit computer

a c 243 ) Power supply
January 20, 2013 1:00:37 PM

boomplatinum said:
im having a problem with my psu wires not stretching across the case for atx pwr 1 and 2 (24 pin and 4 pin). i just switched cases and added a new psu cooler (my first time) and i would like to atleast be reasured that i didnt fry anything when touching it, i did ground my self several times but i just want to make sure. so the question is, can i safely sit the psu outside of the case and on top of something so the wires reach a little farther. it would only be long enough to see if the computer turns on and logs into windows.

Not according to some here

Do you have pets that will crawl over it ? how about children ? are you clumsy ?

It's perfectly safe, if you have half an ounce or so of responsibility in you
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2013 1:11:32 PM

Hi :) 

As said above....pets and children near it...NO it could be FATAL....

If its for a couple of minutes...maybe...it WILL work , but safe no...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
January 20, 2013 1:18:20 PM

no kids or animals just me and the computer is in a corner, so other than those things its safe to sit it outside of the case then? what do you guys suggest i sit it on top of? stack of books?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2013 1:52:02 PM

Just don't block the airflow of the PSU and "it" will be okay. All of the safety advise given is spot on. Just be careful.

I would sit it on a book or something just as a vibration dampener, keeping in mind that this config should be VERY temporary.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 20, 2013 2:38:53 PM

boomplatinum said:
no kids or animals just me and the computer is in a corner, so other than those things its safe to sit it outside of the case then? what do you guys suggest i sit it on top of? stack of books?

Been running open systems for years, none of the grandchildren or pets have lost any apendages or started any fires so you should be fine
A stack of books works, an empty box would too
!