Tags:
  • Radeon
  • AMD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2012 4:03:19 PM

I usually have a PC with

- AMD Phenom X2 550 clocked at 3.1Ghz
- 500W 240v PSU (I *think* this may be a problem, but it meets the minimum requirements)
- AMD Radeon HD 4350 (yes it's rubbish)
- 8 GB DDR3 RAM (various brands)
- PCI Firewire Card (not sure what brand or power usage)
- PCI Wireless networking card (not sure what brand or power usage)
- Windows 8 Consumer preview

I'm my small feable mind I thought that I had plenty of juice left over as the 4350 only takes up 25w, and the CPU takes up 79w. However when i installed a AMD Radeon 6870 which is a 151w monster I felt the current PSU would be able to supply enough power.

However when I start up the monitor (on both ports including the HDMI when I plug it into the TV) show NO SIGNAL.

I pop in my 4350 and bingo everything works fine.

Do I have a faulty card (just got it today) OR is my PSU inadequate for the awesome power of a 151w card? Or am I being a dufous?

PS: Yes I did uninstall the driver for the previous one (I think), although it seems to have automatically reinstalled it when I booted up windows again. Any friendly advice would be most appreciated. I really hope it's an insanely silly and simple reason that I've overlooked, and not that the GPU gods have smited it with static, or I need to but a 750w PSU oh and yes I earthed myself, and handled it all like a bomb squad operative

More about : amd radeon 6870 signal

July 18, 2012 4:07:09 PM

PPS: I have a MSI 770 G45 Motherboard if that helps, I'd edit my post but the forum said I couldn't edit my own post :( 
a b À AMD
July 18, 2012 4:14:33 PM

What power supply do you have? A good 500W is fine but some cheap ones rated 500W cannot supply that amount continuously at the voltages you need it on.
Related resources
July 18, 2012 4:22:29 PM

simon12 said:
What power supply do you have? A good 500W is fine but some cheap ones rated 500W cannot supply that amount continuously at the voltages you need it on.

Not sure I'm sure you're right, I'm just going to have to find a good one at a fair price, any recommendations?
a b À AMD
July 18, 2012 4:43:15 PM

Any 500W+ from Corsair, Antec, XFX or seasonic will do the job other brands may be OK but check the reviews 1st (from review sites not customer reviews). Its not 100% the problem though what power supply do you currently have? Also have you connected both the 6 pin power connectors on the card to the PSU? Do the fans on the GPU spin?
BTW have you tried unlocking extra CPU cores I have the same CPU running 4 cores at 3.7GHz.
July 18, 2012 4:59:25 PM

How many amps does your PSU have on the +12v rail(s)?
July 18, 2012 5:02:18 PM

I had the same issue with a cheap PSU, I got a good quality one and it worked fine, so maybe that is the issue
!