Ghouldude

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I am putting together a build for gaming and maybe a bit of video watching but not for reading as my laptop serves as my primary computer for browsing and text devouring, (action word!) so, I was wondering (BTW I sit precisely 8 feet away at eye level from the tv) if I should use an hdmi or a VGA cable to connect my build to the tv, also if hdmi will deliver the best performance should I route it through my Yamaha surround system or will it slow the response time?
I'm not getting rid of the tv for a monitor so don't suggest that also I know my tv has a vga input as I crammed my phone inbetween it and the wall and took a picture of the port (it's mounted on the wall), also just so I can get more input I'll post my build so there are no unecessary questions.

CPU
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $184.99
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX $209.99 (with Rebate)
MEMORY
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $45.99
CASE
Raidmax ARES midtower ATX $10
STORAGE
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.99
PSU
Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply $41.98
MOTHERBOARD
ASRock H61M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $44.99
DVD/CD WRITER
LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer $16.99
END RESULT $619.83

This is my first ever build and I want to go as smoothly as possible I'm so paranoid I'm going to make a fatal mistake.
Edit: updated to that GSKILL RAM and changed the total pricing.

Ghouldude

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Actually I'm using my laptop on it right now and it works rather well nothing cut off I'm just wondering if it will be sharper with vga or hdmi (probably a dumb question) and if pc's output audio and video on the same hdmi or if I'd need to use the audio out?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It's not likely to make a difference. I would honestly suggest using whichever is easiest to hook up, which is probably going to be HDMI; my guess is the audio receiver won't slow anything down, but HDMI can be kinda quirky so who knows.

As captaincharisma said, it isn't likely to be very good for desktop usage, gaming will look ok, but text will be probably be difficult to see, even in game.

Your build looks quite good for a budget build. I would be a little concerned about fitting the 7850 into that case (simply based on it's price, usually super budget cases aren't sized to fit longer GPUs). I've never heard of the Pareema (your RAM), Gskill Ripjaws series are 5$ more on newegg, and are a more reputable brand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 . (Though if you already purchased everything, don't be too concerned about it, I just couldn't help but point that stuff out)

Other than that, seems good. Good luck.

edit: Your PC will output audio over the HDMI connection, you can run it through the audio receiver; but be aware it's possible that it can cause input lag, depending on how it transmits between HDMI in and HDMI out.

Ghouldude

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
The case is from early 2007 lol, got it at a E-cycling place for the $10. looked it up and it was about a $60 case back then, Also I'll look into thaat ram you suggested as I have just compiled a wishlist that I am going to pick up as things go on sale and dip in price, I plan to have all this put together around October also looked at my TV's manual and it says it's suggested display with a pc is 1280 x 1024 (which looks pretty sharp coming from my laptop) which I've been using to read these forums.

Ghouldude

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
But will it be as crisp? also would a sound card be necessary for 7.1 synthesized sound? (it's actually 3.1 but is really nice tech able to do 7.1 simulation specifically Yamaha Yht-s400)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I'm speculating here, but I think you will have 100% audio quality through the VGA because it's not doing any conversion from digital to analog; your receiver will do that. However you maybe missing features such as Dolby support, EAX, etc (I don't really know though). I would wait and see how things sound once you get them hooked up, because they will function, and if you are unhappy, snag a good audio card on sale (since you won't be rushed by the rest of the build).

As far as visual sharpness, VGA is an analog signal, HDMI is digital. More than likely you won't see a difference, but digital won't be susceptible to lost quality.